Copying OS to another HDD

dev893

In Runtime
I bought a new hdd and i want to copy everything to it is there a way to do so or do i have to start from scratch? Ive tried creating a system image but i keep getting an error and i cant get it to work

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Computer Forums mobile app

Try clonezilla, Its an excellent utility that will do the job, It can be found in Hirens or downloaded separately..

The easiest way is to first and foremost back up any data you want saved.

After that take an extra flash drive (32GB or more) and create the recovery media on that flash drive.

Then simpy plug it into the computer with your new Hard drive and boot to the flash drive , this will allow you to install the operating system onto the computer and then you can restore the data you had.

What manufacturer is the computer?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Computer Forums mobile app

There are some dual dock cloning hardware you can buy pretty cheap which will completely clone everything to the new drive.

The easiest way is to first and foremost back up any data you want saved.

After that take an extra flash drive (32GB or more) and create the recovery media on that flash drive.

Then simpy plug it into the computer with your new Hard drive and boot to the flash drive , this will allow you to install the operating system onto the computer and then you can restore the data you had.

What manufacturer is the computer?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Computer Forums mobile app

My pc is custom made but i decided to just start fresh. Sorry for the late reply

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Computer Forums mobile app

I don't recommend Clonezilla to beginners, it's pretty powerful with lots of capabilities. It will be very daunting for a 1st time user.

Instead, I recommend HDClone, it's dead simple to use. You click on clone, select source drive, select target drive, decide if you want the existing partitions automatically resized to fit the new drive and hit go.

Back
Top Bottom