Skype Uses A Lot Of Ram

BK_123

Golden Master
Hey guys. So I am very curious as to Skype uses so much ram, I have it open when playing Minecraft as I am staff on a server and need to be able quickly communicate with other staff privately. Any ideas/tips on ways to reduce the ram usage, I only have 4GB in my laptop.

Gjevlf4.jpg

Hey,

I've not used Skype a lot on the passed but 117mb doesnt seem like a huge amount of RAM for it to be using but I guess it is if it is just sitting in the background.

I've had a quick nose over on the Skype forums and there are some complains of a memory leak, someone claimed they uninstalled it and downloaded a slightly older version (which automatically updated during the install) and this resolved their memory issue? So that may be worth a shot.

Hey, Yeah I did Googled it and found the same answers but I haven't been able to find a specific answer from Skype themselves which would be good..

According to this thread here:
Skype is taking up a lot of ram? - Skype Community

g4pilut seems to suggest that in the background it should be using around 86mb and that was back in 2011 so it wouldn't but out of the question for the last 3 years worth of updates to have consumed an additional 30mb RAM in idle?

As I said i'm not a Skype user perhaps some other members on this forum use it and they can tell us what their idle Skype uses?

I think the problem is 1 that a lot of programs have nowa days and that is LAZY DEVELOPERs (including myself).

Gone are the days when you had to be extremely careful about how much memory your program was using, developers are getting lazy and memory usage is not even part of any MS Dev courses these days.

Honestly, I'm surprised it's not taking up more than that. If you want to use less ram, you'll likely need another program like Vent or TeamSpeak but even still 120ish MB isn't that much and you still have about 40% of your ram available. If minecraft needs all that and then some, why not just get another stick of RAM? 4GB is pretty low for a modern computer.

I would recommend turning off un-used processes in the background, like U Torrent and anything else not being used.

Also it's good practice to turn off programs in start up that you won't be using. This will free up resources and ram.

Honestly, I'm surprised it's not taking up more than that. If you want to use less ram, you'll likely need another program like Vent or TeamSpeak but even still 120ish MB isn't that much and you still have about 40% of your ram available. If minecraft needs all that and then some, why not just get another stick of RAM? 4GB is pretty low for a modern computer.

Its not a huge issue but I was just curious. I've looked into upgrading the ram for my current laptop and unfortunately I cannot as I only have one slot but I am looking to get another laptop or custom build.

I would recommend turning off un-used processes in the background, like U Torrent and anything else not being used.

Also it's good practice to turn off programs in start up that you won't be using. This will free up resources and ram.

Utorrent is only on when I am torrenting otherwise its turned off and that's the same for Skype. They are also set to not start up on boot.

Back
Top Bottom