Unbuntu

dev893

In Runtime
Im thinking about switching to unbuntu because of it being less resource hungry. I was wondering what the best version was and i was wondering if i could still use steam with it

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Computer Forums mobile app

Steam is supported on Ubuntu, so you wont have any problems there. But most steam games isn't supported.
How old is your computer? What specs does it have?

• Kubuntu is my favorite version (Ubuntu running KDE UI), but it should be the most power hungry version, but very impressive looking and is packed with features.
  • Gnome shell Ubuntu also looks impressive and have all the features you need, but you pay a little performance for the new UI. (the Shell version of Gnome. Also called Gnome3)
  • Gnome Ubuntu is standard looking and packed with features. Performs well and is a great overall OS. I recommend this to most people that want to jump to Linux. Specially if they like MacOSX
  • Lubuntu is properly the best one for slow computers. Works great and fast but lag visuals and features.
  • I haven't tried Xubuntu, so i can't speak for that.

Last edited:
My current build:
CPU: AMD A6-5400K@4GHZ
MOTHERBOARD: ASrock FM2A55M-VG3+
RAM: 4GB (2X2GB ) DDR3 1600MHZ G.SKILL ECO
HDD: 250GB WD scorpio black w/ free fall sensor (soon i wilo be upgrading to two 500gb Seagate barracuda 7200.9)

Would it be safe have unbuntu on the 250gb and windows on one of the 500gb? That way i can still play my games?

Xubuntu 13.10 works great,I have changed to it now full time.Was using win 8.1.The only problem so far is connect to printer,shows inks levels ,sends page to printer,just wont print,using wireless net work,will try cable connect at some stage.Can recommend xubuntu,had tried Fedora,Puppy linux and Steam and Xubuntu 14 beta before opting for this version.

Probably the way with less work for you is just to partition One HD and have Windows and Ubuntu on it. Even easier is Ubuntu's Dual Boot creator. Wubi-Installer, as it is called, will setup your computer so that when you turn it on you will be given the option to choose either Ubuntu or whichever Windows you currently have.

This will probably give you the least trouble. The address for Wubi installer us wubi-installer.org if I remember correctly but you can just google it

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Computer Forums mobile app

Back
Top Bottom