Ubuntu on a machine with Windows 8 preinstalled?

AdehhRR

Solid State Member
Hi everyone, I bought a really nice ASUS laptop a while ago and it had W8 preinstalled. I have tried on several instances to download Ubuntu as I need it for university, but it seems to really not want to work for me.

Is there a way to do this or am I just trying for something that won't happen?

Thanks!

You should be able to download the ISO onto Windows 8 then it will open, You will need to mount the file first using this program SlySoft Download | AnyDVD, CloneDVD, CloneCD, GameJackal, Any DVD, Clone DVD, Clone CD, Game Jackal called VirtualClone drive then your computer will reboot allowing your to create a separate partition on your hard drive and install Ubuntu and still have Windows 8 to use. When you mount the ISO file it should come up with something like this

cS9A8yD.png

Before I try to install that, can I just clarify.
The UEFI and SecureBoot problem that happens with Windows 8 will not be a problem?
That is what I had happening to me, and many have had happening to them.

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for the links.

I disabled UEFI and secure boot, and have mounted the iso to a disc.
But my problem is that when I choose the boot order, I cannot choose "boot from disc"

The only option I have is window boot loader, and if I do that, it gives me a choice to start from "Windows setup" or "windows 8"

Hmm that shouldn't require you to change the boot order. Go into the bios and set the DVD drive as the first device to boot.

Ok so assuming Windoes 8 was the problem I went ahead and uninstalled it, and installed Windows 7

Now when I go to install ubuntu, Ubuntu doesn't recognise the Windows partition and labels it as "free space"
This means I have to do some manual partitioning or wipe Win7 completely.

This is getting ridiculous. It seems like a run into impassible errors at every turn.

Does anyone have any idea what to do?

EDIT: I gave up and went to install Ubuntu while wiping everything else so my laptop would be Ubuntu only. And of course, THERES ANOTHER ERROR!!

"dev/sda contains GPT signatures indicating it has a GPt table. However it doesn't have a fake msdos partition table, as it should. (blahblah) Is this a GPT partition table?"

I click Yes, nothing happens, I click no, nothing happens.

This is so fun.

Last edited:
I know this is late but if you still want to have both Ubuntu actually has an installer built for this purpose. Named Wubi-Installer, it creates a dual boot so that when you turn your computer on you get to choose between Windows or Ubuntu

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Computer Forums mobile app

I know this is late but if you still want to have both Ubuntu actually has an installer built for this purpose. Named Wubi-Installer, it creates a dual boot so that when you turn your computer on you get to choose between Windows or Ubuntu

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Computer Forums mobile app
You don't need to use wubi to install dual boot the regular installer will work fine.

Back
Top Bottom