Avast install problems

emperor76

In Runtime
Hi all, I decided to upgrade to windows 8, but upon trying to install Avast I was confronted by a message containing the following: the stub cannot run installer/updater executable windows 8 avast, this worked fine on windows 7, are there any known problems with Avast and Windows 8?

Not sure why it wouldn't install on Windows 8. I would go to the Avast web site and search if they have a version for Windows 8.

I tried AVG which also didn't work, I heard defender can cause issue's, so I tried to turn it off, but for some reason defender wouldn't even open, I also found a yahoo search in my prpgrams which after deletion kept re-appearing after re-start, much like the conduit problem I had a while ago, which I had to delete entries in the registry to stop it re-installing, it worked here as well, but it still didn't solve my problem, so I reformatted, I still don't know what caused the problem, but it works now.

Maybe it was some annoying maleware that kept installing itself after you uninstalled it. the reformat took care of the problem, but for future references if you ever have a stubborn program like that again, boot up in safe mode then uninstall it. ;)

Maybe it was some annoying maleware that kept installing itself after you uninstalled it. the reformat took care of the problem, but for future references if you ever have a stubborn program like that again, boot up in safe mode then uninstall it. ;)

The Malware I had, (as far as I can see it was) was Yahoo search bar, but the publisher was Linkury, every time I restarted it came back, I didn't even think of starting in safe mode and removing so I will try that next time. When I had the conduit Malware one of the steps in the instructions for removal I found were going to regedit, going to find and searching for/deleting any entries found for that particular one. It worked here as well and it did stop it re-installing at least, but perhaps there were other one's.

Good to know! Avast worked on my laptop and its running 8.1. when i got it. But glad it works for you now!

Yes, it's good to see that you resolved your issue. It's too bad that you had to do a complete restore to get rid of it, but sometimes you just gotta do what you can to solve the issue.

Back
Top Bottom