Dual boot vs virtual

emperor76

In Runtime
Hi , I came across an old game I used to play on the school computers: Chuck Yeager, it's pretty old, I think it was Windows 3.1 or 95 but I can't remember, but it wouldn't work on Windows 7, so I decided to get xp back on, I no longer have xp on dual boot so I decided to give virtual pc a try, so far I've found it highly irritating, but it's the first time I've used it and I'm still working it out, is it worth me persisting with it as I'm getting there with it now, if it's advantageous to use this rather than dual boot, I shall persist, if not, dual boot it is

It depends what you are looking for, if it's just to play this old school game i'd stick with it.

Personally I've used a VM for a good few years now and once you get used to it, it's fine the. The networking can be a puzzle to begin with but you'll get it figured out.

The only time I would dual boot now is if I needed the full performance of my hardware.

Well, not just this game, Theme hospital and one of the broken swords I had to dual boot for but I think your point still stands, none of these really require much to run, I was planning to use it like this until I got my external backup drive and then install xp in the 250gb second drive, which will then be mostly obsolete apart from my plan to use it as temporary back up storage to transfer to the external every so often. I shall persevere then if for nothing else then to learn, I have been having a problem with it not connecting to the internet though, but I'm sure I'll defeat it, thanks

I think in the past I've been able to run Theme Hospital in Windows 7 with no problems, It just changes the compatibility settings and sets the theme to basic.

I think in the past I've been able to run Theme Hospital in Windows 7 with no problems, It just changes the compatibility settings and sets the theme to basic.

Hmm, usually the first thing I try is changing compatibility mode, but after this I will try and install and have a play around and see if I can get my head around it, I know I tried Broken Sword: Angel Of Death and all the characters were silhouettes, yet I tried with xp and all was fine

---------- Post added at 02:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 AM ----------

Maybe if you gave told us what problems you're having, we could make suggestions.

Well, I did go to device manager and notice a couple of drivers missing, every time I went to i.e, it seemed to work fine until an error message came up, sorry, can't be more specific until kids are in bed and I can have another shot at it.

Turns out I had some free time, stuck in the house recovering from op, so their grand parents took the one that's not at school out. Just quickly tried running theme hospital, tried in compatibility mode for 95 and xp and this is what I got both times

I personally use virtualbox and it's pretty good.

If you are only playing old games I would personally just get another hard drive and duel boot.

Mossiac

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Computer Forums mobile app

Doing a Windows XP & 7 dual boot is complicated as you have to install XP then partition the drive then install 7 so you can't just install XP when 7 is installed. I would just get VM Ware Player or Virtual Box and install it that way.

Doing a Windows XP & 7 dual boot is complicated as you have to install XP then partition the drive then install 7 so you can't just install XP when 7 is installed. I would just get VM Ware Player or Virtual Box and install it that way.

I've had xp on dual boot before, I did get confused briefly with the problem you described, but I found a program that did it for me, I can't remember what the program was called now, but it let me set up the operating systems I had installed so I could select them from boot and it worked fine, but this is before the massive virus problem I had which led me to dban the drive, I couldn't be bothered to install it again yet, just found the program I used http://download.cnet.com/EasyBCD/3000-2094_4-10556865.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom