Missing dll

copiman

In Runtime
I have a DELL inspiron 1501 with XP Home Edition. I was doing some extending of a partition. When I restarted I got this message.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I am not sure what to do at this point.

You can try to run a repair from a Windows install disk, but if you aren't comfortable with this you may want to take it to a repair shop. Basically the Windows install is corrupt and if you can't repair it, Windows will need reinstalled. The issue is if there is data on the computer you need saved. It can still be accessed, but a shop my have to get it off for you. You can pull the drive and hook it up as a secondary drive on another computer if you have one to get the data.

You need to be carefully when trying to follow guides/videos like that as things can go wrong and cause more issues and possible data loss.

You need to be carefully when trying to follow guides/videos like that as things can go wrong and cause more issues and possible data loss.

That is no more true that it is for any advice with fixing computers. Heck half the things recommended on tbis forum seems to put data at risk, it's the nature of the beast

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Computer Forums mobile app

Back
Top Bottom