Dell Inspiron 17R cooling fans won't start

leonard787

Baseband Member
The cooling fan on my Dell Inspiron 17R N7110 does not run when the computer starts, after I removed the fan to clean the dust build up in it. I cleaned it using an air pump to free some of the dust inside as well, but not near the MB. When the fan is plugged into an external power source it works perfectly though, could it be my MB? Any suggestions for the problem?

I should also mention that the computer powers up and will load to Windows. I expect everything else is working fine but without cooling the CPU will fry and my supply of liquid nitrogen is a little lacking.

Use a tool like HWMonitor to see what the CPU temp is. It is not uncommon for the cooling fan in laptops not to spin up until the CPU gets hotter in an effort to prolong battery life.

I have this same laptop. I am planning on cracking it open as it has never been cleaned. Can anyone tell me about upgrading this laptop. Dell Inspiron 17R N7110 with i52450M CPU. I have limited understanding of upgrading this. Maybe this should be a separate thread but I posted here since it is the same model. I watched a video on how to open this laptop up and replace various parts. I just don't know if I can upgrade the cpu with the mobo in this laptop. Any information would be appreciated.

I've seen a guide that I used to open it and I think once the heatsink is off, the CPU can comeout. You just need to unplug everything from the mobo and unscrew it from the case.

I think as long as it is the same socket you can upgrade it
Makes sense, thanks. I heard something about if you upgrade a cpu it changes the bios or something like that. I am unfamiliar with bios other than changing the boot order. Actually getting ready to get into a chapter of reading about BIOS.

I am more familiar with working on desktops than laptops but I don't think changing CPU's causes any issues unless it is seated wrong. Be sure to have thermal paste to put onto it when you reinstall the heatsink or it won't cool correctly

Back
Top Bottom