Hi I am Graeme & Building a New System

GSP89

Beta member
Hey,

New to this and building my first system from which I want a robust system with fast start-up time, capability to run windows 8 and GPPAs smoothly and ability to play blu-ray media through a 42" TV nicely.

Although, being a newbie, I'm hoping someone with more experience can pick out the flaws in my plan below:

HDD - 500gb, SATA III, 7200RPM,32mb cache
SSD - 64gb, read 490MB/s, write 240MB/s
GCD - Nvidia GeForce G210, 1gb DDR3
Case - Micro ATX c/w 500W PSU
RAM - 1x4gb DDR3 1333MHz Corsair
MOBO - H77MU3 Biostar
CPU - Socket 1155, 2.90ghz, Intel Pentium G2020

One thing I'm worried about is whether i can use the SSD for my OS - this AHCI thing is confusing me!

Any help is much appreciated :)

G

Last edited:
yes you can use an SSD for os and Dont worry about the ahci thing it should do the setting for automatically (the mobo)

Not sure why you'd bother with win8 unless your tv is touch screen. But thats my opinion.

Not sure what you mean by GPPAs?

That graphics card is old, although you dont seem to need much more performance id still spend the extra £10 and get a gt 610

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

does c/w 500w mean "comes with"

if it does, dont buy it, it'll become a door stop and probably take other components with it.

The psu is a very important piece of the pc so dont skimp on it.................

Thanks for that. The PSU comes with the case for £23, maybe not the best quality then...

I suppose it shouldn't be too difficult to get another PSU if the one supplied is crap. Wouldn't break the bank either.

GPP/GPA General Purpose Program/Application (something I picked up in school). So MS Office, maybe some light CAD or sound recording/editing software but nothing serious. If I was to go into that I would buy a dedicated sound card with the right I/Os anyway.

My laptop runs CAD fine so I'm not too worried :)

Back
Top Bottom