My netbook needs replacing.

Ferndog

Beta member
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have an elderly Asus 1005HA. I have filled all it's memory and it is getting lots of glitches. I need to replace it and had thought I would just buy a more upto date netbook but I get the impression that may not be my best option.
I need a long battery life as I work on sites where there is no electric available and need the computer on all day.
I need to run Windows and Microsoft Office as my work needs to be compatible with University computers and I am secretary of a Morris dance group (yes, I know) and so things I send out need to be easily accessible to the members of the group.
I also need to run the RYA Sailwave programme which my friend's Apple computers won't open.
I need a keyboard as typing on a screen just isn't on for long documents or inputing figures.
The machine also needs to be as light as possible as I cart the thing round in my shoulder bag most of the time.
The most I have available is £450.
Sorry for the long list of needs and I know it's a tall order but can anyone advise me where I should be looking other than another Asus. I am wondering about the 1015PX but I am worried about it using Windows starter7 (old?) And |I don't like that Windows 7 won't run Outlook Express.:confused:

Last edited:
Thanks Garrett. The answer does seem to be another eee PC. The one I have has been brilliant for 4 years.

My family has 2 Asus eeePCs and 5 Acer Aspire One netbooks. I personally like the Acers better than the Asus, mostly because the keyboards on the Asus models seem very flimsy compared to the Acers.

I personally have this Acer: Amazon.com: Acer Aspire One AO722-0473 11.6-Inch HD Netbook (Espresso Black): Computers & Accessories. It will literally run rings around the eeePC listed above from TigerDirect (my wife has that same model eeePC). The one from TigerDirect is refurbished, comes with 1G of RAM (upgradeable to 2G) and runs 32-bit Win 7 Starter. The one I linked to is new, comes with 2G of RAM (upgradeable to 4G) and runs 64-bit Win 7 Home Premium. The Acer claims 7 hours of battery run-time, not sure about the Asus model.

I replaced the 320G hdd in mine with a 128G ssd and it is very snappy.

I personally wouldn't worry whether Win 7 will run Outlook express or not, I like Windows Live Mail better. If you don't like Windows Live Mail then there are other mail clients such as Thunderbird.

Last edited:
I ordered an Asus 1025CE this morning. I'll keep my fingers crossed it will be what I want. I may try Thunderbird. Thanks. I have found the Asus keyboards pretty good on my 1000HA and my husbands 1015 but I have never had an Acer so I couldn't compare them. As I have taken the plunge now I won't look elsewhere!

Thank you both for your help.

I have owned 3 aspire one netbook from acer and let me tell you in my opinion they were the worst pc's i've ever had.
they would blue screen and the screen wouldnt work and lastly my last one was sitting on my bed when smoke began to come out of the sides.
I still have a video that my brother filmed of me shooting an acer aspire one out of the air with a 20 gauge.

btw could you write a review on the asus netbook that you ordered? i got accepted into an early college high school and need a new netbook as well. seeing as my mom wont let me even touch hers.

I can't imagine why you had such bad luck with your Acer's. Of the 5 we have in our family, none have blue screen issues and none have ever smoked. The oldest ones we have are 4 1/2 years old now and still going strong.

We also haven't had any problems with the 2 eeePCs we have in the family, other than their flimsy keyboards, they seem to be decent machines.

The only problem we have had with any of them is my sister's Aspire One refuses to connect via wifi to her router at her house. It connects to my router and various wifi hotspots we've tried without any problem but for some reason won't connect to her router.

Last edited:
I have owned 3 aspire one netbook from acer and let me tell you in my opinion they were the worst pc's i've ever had.
they would blue screen and the screen wouldnt work and lastly my last one was sitting on my bed when smoke began to come out of the sides.
I still have a video that my brother filmed of me shooting an acer aspire one out of the air with a 20 gauge.

btw could you write a review on the asus netbook that you ordered? i got accepted into an early college high school and need a new netbook as well. seeing as my mom wont let me even touch hers.

It does depend on the way they have been used and how they are looked after.

Back
Top Bottom