server configuration

sajjad_ss

Solid State Member
have c2d 2.4Ghz 2GB Ram , 160 GB HDD. installed windows 2003 Server on it. ii have 10 PC's network, i want to manage my netwoek through server. help me to configure DNS and Active Drictory. etc...

Active Directory is a thing you just have to dive into - once you've set up the domain, you just manage everything through Active Directory's snapins (Users & Computers, Sites & Services, etc)

DNS is a requirement of a domain, so it should install automatically. DHCP is also useful.

There are tons of resources online on how to set this up, Youtube especially.

The system specs are definitely enough to run the server but there are a few considerations that will help you run this server almost as if it was purchased brand new. Install a good network adapter that is at least gigabit 1000mbps. Install a good network switch meaning don't use the cheapest option at your retail stores. And make sure the hard drives in the system have a good read/write performance. Your existing specs will likely be fine for Server 2003, but I'm offering you some nice performance tuning suggestions that will make your end-users think you are superman. Don't spend too much time on it though if you do not get the results you are looking for with your existing rig. Great suggestions everyone

Hello,

I was hoping someone would be able to help me spec a server for an IP CCTV system. The "box" the distributor spec'd does not have enough throughput to handle the streaming of the cameras. I dont think the processor is strong enough either. BTW, my name is Scott.

Back
Top Bottom