There is no hope for the human race

I did rather well in logic and flow charting. ...
I wasn't talking about Logic and flow charting, I was referring to a class on Logic where you learn to discern which arguments are valid or not. For instance, your argument would break down to something like this:

Individuals A & B committed a horrific crime.
A & B are members of the human race.
Therefore, all members of the human race are horrific.

Based on the first 2 arguments (assuming that they are true), is the 3rd statement true?

When broken down to this format, it becomes clear that your argument is invalid.

(Dang. My head hurts from recalling that stuff I learned in Logic class in college 35+ years ago!)

Last edited:
It's hard to have faith in the human race when only shocking acts of violence make the news. We almost never hear about the guy who saved someone from getting hit by a car or the woman who rescued somoene from a burning building.

why? Because acts of heroism and kindness don't sell newspapers.

Earlier this century, I found the author Barbara Tuchman and started reading her histories, and they soothed my beliefs that we're heading to hell in a handbasket. The world HAS been in more difficult straits, her works convinced me. A DISTANT MIRROR is a great one - a long history of Europe in the 13th and 14th Centuries, full of marauding gangs, the beginning of unionized labor vs serfdom, the Brits owned the Atlantic Coast of France for a while longer, and the era of the Two Popes.

Or if you think our world politics only recently suck, check out her much shorter history, A PROUD TOWER, discussing the populist movements and a handful of important personalities from 1870 to 1914. I only thought we had it bad NOW.

...Granted there're are acts of bravery and kindness every day around the world. Hero's abound. And you're right, those don't make the 6 o'clock news.
It's the darker side of man that gets attention.
if it bleeds it leads.

there is nothing new there!!

Back
Top Bottom