FBI ransomware

Dramma52

Beta member
So i got infected with the FBI ransomeware virus. I booted up safe mode and ran PCTOOLS spyware antivirus and it didn't find a thing. I ran Malwarebytes and nothing. I downloaded Emsisoft Emergency kit and it found over 60 infections including the ransomeware which it removed and unlocked my computer. My PC Tools is up for renewal next month. Should I not renew and buy the Emsisoft?
Thanks for your help

you shouldn't renew PCtools or buy Emsisoft.
the Emsisoft software did it's job didn't it? you don't need it anymore. Just install avast FREE edition and you are all set.
You don't need to pay for computer protection. non of the geeks on this forum pays for anti-virus.

You don't need to pay for computer protection. non of the geeks on this forum pays for anti-virus.

True; we just use linux, have safe browsing practices (i.e. noscript) and ensure our firewalls/routers have a perfect stealth rating on https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 <- Shields Up

And for when things do go wrong, have backups disconnected from local network (i.e. cloud / external hard drive), live-cd's, disk software - darek's boot n nuke for 100% harddrive wiping and bootable usb's with anti-malware tools on.

True; we just use linux, have safe browsing practices (i.e. noscript) and ensure our firewalls/routers have a perfect stealth rating on https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 <- Shields Up

And for when things do go wrong, have backups disconnected from local network (i.e. cloud / external hard drive), live-cd's, disk software - darek's boot n nuke for 100% harddrive wiping and bootable usb's with anti-malware tools on.

Link doesn't go to Steve's home page.

@BikerEcho
I just bought 1 years worth of Eset's top of the line security suite for 3 computers for 79.99 usd. Free stuff isn't working for me any more. Had to have some thing better.

But which antivirus gets or stops the viruses and bad stuff. i tried many pay and free antiviruses and only one found the ransomware. What's up with them?

So true, so true. And then there's combofix. A really serious romp and stomp anti everything scanner. But it won't run in safemode.
The ransom bug you have let's you get in to safe mode? That's unusual. Normally you're pretty screwed as it won't let you go nowhere near safe mode. It's a rootkit.

I'd get the hard drive and ensure the data is backed up, plug the drive into another computer and format it in the windows explorer or using a 3rd party application of your choice.

Back
Top Bottom