Easiest Home File Server OS?

BK_123

Golden Master
Hi everyone, I have been thinking of getting an old machine and setting it up as a file server, What would be the best OS for this?

I think so. IIRC, FileZilla has a server that you can run for free, but I have not tried it (or running a FTP server on Windows extensively) personally. :)

There's FreeNAS. If you're looking for a Windows based solution, there's always Windows Home Server.

The problem with Windows is you have to buy it. I'd suggest trying something free first. Although if you have an old computer laying around, it will do the job just fine. You don't really "need" a specialized OS to work as a file server. Just remove all the junk from it, setup some shared folders, and connect to the shares from all your other computers.

They all have to be on the same work group. And that's a royal PITA. If you're going to do that you have to have a windows OS.
If you go the free route then you have a Linux OS with the server setup layered over it. Setting it up is a bit of a pain but when it's done you have no money invested in it and any OS with the right software can access it.

They all have to be on the same work group. And that's a royal PITA.

I'm really going to have to disagree here (though I rarely disagree with your opinions). I set them up all the time for people (mainly so stuff on the desktop can be access by stuff from their laptop). I've never really had any trouble with it.

Windows Home server 2011 is cheap (usually around $50USD) and easy to use plus it adds a very nice backup functionality. I use it, and I love it.

Back
Top Bottom