Where is Java these days?

Bucephalus

Beta member
Hi

I was just about to start a website in java, but it seems everyone is using php.... What's with that? Should I be switching over to PHP?
Is that better than Java for some reason?
This will be my first website. I have done a little java programming, but I do have some php books here. So, what to do? It's an e-commerce website.

Dave.

It depends on what you are looking at, i.e., whether you are looking at big web projects or not. If you sample from smaller sites on-line where running Java itself is considered to be a sizeable resource overhead, then you are going to find a lot more PHP than Java.

Hi

I was just about to start a website in java, but it seems everyone is using php.... What's with that? Should I be switching over to PHP?
Is that better than Java for some reason?
This will be my first website. I have done a little java programming, but I do have some php books here. So, what to do? It's an e-commerce website.

Dave.

Actually, not everyone is using PHP at all - there's never been a more vast array of server side languages used. PHP actually seems (to me) to be used a bit less than it was a few years ago, with a lot of new contenders coming up (Django, Rails, ASP.NET, Spring Roo, etc.)

PHP is arguably easier than Java, but is a less rigid language (loosely typed.) Pick what you're most comfortable with or you want to learn. The one advantage PHP does have is that if you're planning to host it somewhere, PHP support is much wider (almost universal) amongst most hosts, whereas you may have to shop around a bit more to find equivalent Java hosting.

Of course, Java applets are fading fast and for most intents and purposes all but dead - but that's completely different from server side.

Last edited:
what i did was try to write some simple games where you connect atoms to make molecules.

i.e 2x H + 1x O=H2O

or C + Hx2 + O2=CH20

or H2 + O2=H2O2

I believe you're talking about client side Java applets - very different from using Java as a server side technology, which is I believe what's being discussed here.

Back
Top Bottom