Mapped Network Drive's Based on Group Membership

TechKnowledge

Beta member
OK here it goes.

I have my GPO with a logon script that i created. It works because when I login with my administrator account and run the script the drive gets mapped. BUT it does not map when loggin in. I have to actually navigate to the NETLOGON folder and run the script.
I have two users in the same group.
One user #1 has memberships in GG_IT_Management, Domain Admin, Enterprise Admin, and Domain User.
The other user # 2 just has membership in GG_IT_Management.

I am trying to map a drive for members in the GG_IT_Management.

When I login with user # 1, and run the script i get the drive.
When I login with user # 2, and run the script i get nothing.

Now seeing how it works for user # 1, WHY does it not work when he logs in.

The GPOs that i have inplace are ONLY;
Disable Fast Logon (which has the "allways wait for the network at computer startup and logon")
Drive Maps Policy (which has the "allways process across a slow network connection" & "process even if the Group Policy objects have not changed".
Network Drive Mapping (which has my Logon script for the drive mapping).

All of these GPOs are at the highest level in my OU structure, and when looking at Group Policy Management, i can see in the Group Policy Inheritance that ALL the above policy are inherited.

The script is;
===================================================
On Error Resume Next

Set objSysInfo = CreateObject("ADSystemInfo")
Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")

strUserPath = "LDAP://" & objSysInfo.UserName
Set objUser = GetObject (strUserPath)

For Each strGroup in objUser.MemberOf
strGroupPath = "LDAP://" & strGroup
Set objGroup = GetObject(strGroupPath)
strGroupName = objGroup.CN

Select Case strGroupName
Case "GG_IT_Management"
objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "X:", "\\SRV01\Department"
End Select
Next
====================================================

Not to sure why it works for one user and not the other, and why it does not map the drive at user login?

**This is only the bare minimum that i want to do too..lol I would like to have a "Personal Drive" mapped also that logs the username and create a folder inside the "Personal Drive" that the individual users and save their documents in. And also have a quota.

THIS IS DRIVING me nuts.

It appears from what you have said that these users have different security privilege
levels.
I am assuming all this is on domain running windows 7 computers correct me if I am
wrong.
Check your group policy settings for each user.
In windows vista and above there was a security feature added called UAC (user account
control)
Since this was added you cannot run scripts unless under administrator privileges Full
control that is why users had to right click and run as administrator for scripts and other
commands in a CLI to work.
I would suggest you first check security wrights with both users and make the needed adjustments.
Also check as a test to see if the other users is given the same wrights if it works.
Kind Regards

why not create a script that maps the X drive you;re trying to for all users.
(either with a traditional batch file, a VBScript or using the built into GPO drive mapping function with newer windows 2008 AD server)

then use security settings on the GPO to only apply it to the group that you select.
(e.g set the security tab so that only the relevant group can read that policy.

Back
Top Bottom