Need Help!!

Kmart1212

In Runtime
So i was using a crappy 24 pin extension cable from china, i know bad idea, and the cable i guess got too much power and it melted 2 of the cables and one of the sockets, the plastic then melted into one of the mother board ports and hardened. Any suggestiveness on what i should do? Do i need a new mother board?

Last edited:
The 24 pin socket on some MOBOs can be replace via soldering ... but you may find more then just the socket is damaged on your MOBO.

That kind of heat is caused either by an overload or a bad connection. Too lite of a guage wire can act as a resistor and cause a hot spot.
RMA the board to who makes it specify replace the 24 pin socket only.
RMA the power supply also with the instructions to replace 24 pin plug only.
You can do either yourself with a soldiering iron and a pin extraction tool. But for the uninitiated, it gets complicated.
In the future when using a jumper for power connections, make sure it's at the minimum 18ga. Any less and you're asking for trouble.

Just though of this. Also make sure on the jumper that all the lines go straight through. Nothing crosses over. Everything has to go straight through.

Question: Was the extra 4 pin plug, plugged in to the jumper?

Last edited:
I Appreciate all the help from eberyone, i plugged the extra 4 pin in because it went from 20 pin to 24 pin, i didn't think the motherboard was getting enough power. i was having some issues when the computer would turn off when it was high CPU( as i opened a game of something), it even did it just surfing the internet, so i thought the motherboard wasn't getting enough power, thats why i put the extra 4 pin in and i never had the problem again until a few hours later, it melted and shut down again:confused:

Back
Top Bottom