Posting in old threads

setishock

Wizard of Wires
Don't ask me where I heard but posting in old threads is now being allowed.
I've seen cases of thread jacking here also.
What the heck is going on? Is any semblance of structure going out the window? Are we that desperate for new members that we toss out the rulebook?
Seriously with the new sign ups and the fact they modify their profile and haul a$$, I'd be looking at that. Spammers DO put links in their profiles that get picked up on by search bots.

(shakes head and walks away...)

Two issues here:

Posting in old threads:
As it stands now, posting in aged threads is not being policed... much. Truth is, it's really not that big of a problem. When it goes from a simple "Hey was this ever figured out" to a complete thread hijack, then those are monitored. We really haven't seen a whole lot of that though and there's only one case I recall in the past 8 mo's where an aged thread was resurrected. True that it was also hijacked, but one in 8 months seems hardly worthy of another line on an already cumbersome rules page IMHO. I imagine that if it became a huge issue, the rule would be put back in place.

Spammers posting links in profile
There are controls in place that prevent new members from posting links period. It would appear that the mechanism doesn't take into account profiles. The code monkeys will need to take a look and see if this mechanism can also police the profiles.

Don't ask me where I heard but posting in old threads is now being allowed.
I've seen cases of thread jacking here also.
What the heck is going on? Is any semblance of structure going out the window? Are we that desperate for new members that we toss out the rulebook?
Seriously with the new sign ups and the fact they modify their profile and haul a$$, I'd be looking at that. Spammers DO put links in their profiles that get picked up on by search bots.

(shakes head and walks away...)

It's been like that ever since Andy took over the forum. You haven't noticed until now so it obviously hasn't caused any issues.

Yes it was decided after Andy took over and hasn't caused any problems over it, Staff have recently had this discussion..

If the post is that old just close it like other forums do, post problem solved.
I use to moderate on a forum and when a topic was not being responded to after a while then it was closed, this stopped lot of spamming as mentioned.

Last edited:
If the post is that old just close it like other forums do, post problem solved.

That's not what the forum owners want as has been explained. People need to respect their rules and wishes.

There are sometimes good reasons to post to an old thread and this is the reason we don't close them, that said in the next week we'll install a little widget to warn folks that they are posting to an ancient thread and they will have to click a box to affirm that they still want to post to an ancient thread before the post will load. it should be the best of both worlds.

Back
Top Bottom