HP Laptop overheats, possible causes?

DillonU

Solid State Member
Hello Everyone!
My name is Dillon. I'm actually not new to the forum. I used to post on here under the username 'crazyman143' about 8 years ago when I was in middle school. I looked up some of my old posts, what a youngin' I was.

Anyway, nowadays in 2012 I work for a tech company where we diagnose/repair pc hardware/software, and I have a question.

I have an HP G60-445DX Notebook that has an overheating AMD Turion X2 RM-75 CPU, usually reaching around 107C when stress tested, and then powering off.

We've taken the pc apart, cleaned all vents, reapplied thermal paste, checked that all fans are working, etc. still, it's overheating. Any ideas? Just a bad CPU? Or just not capable of handling what we're throwing at it?

Thanks in advance for any advice guys :)

107C is 224.6F
You're burning that cpu up. Does it run ok just running the OS and normal user software?

It idles at about 60-70 C which seems pretty high to me. we were using toast to test the temps with a 100% load, which overheats it in about 15 minutes or less.

Recheck that you didn't put the thermal paste on too thick. Then check in the bios to see the settings for the cpu fan. I bet they're set way too high. Check the thermal sensor under the cpu to make sure there is nothing on it keeping it from getting a clear reading.
Humor me. Did you check the gpu heatsink's thermal paste. As far as I know the gpu and cpu share the same heat pipes going to the cooling fins.

The bios doesn't really seem to offer me a way to change anything, save for the boot order and probably the time, or something. I'll double check the paste on the GPU when I can and post back.

When the temp is that high, you should hear the fan screaming. When you feel the air coming out of the vent, does it seem strong? A lot of times, the dust gets trapped in the fins of the heatsink.

Aside from the above (check you've put it on properly, fans are working, etc.) then with consistent temperatures that high there's a good chance you may have cracked / warped (and therefore permanently damaged) the copper plate that sits on the CPU. If so then it's new heatpipe time unfortunately...

thanks for the replies guys. we double checked the paste on the cpu and gpu, everything is good there. the fan is working and seems to be changing speeds just fine. I'll check into some of the other suggestions. maybe the fan has become too weak to keep up?

Back
Top Bottom