Warning - this scam is still operating

Jules2408

Baseband Member
COMPUTER "PROBLEM" SCAM

I am sure this has been mentioned here before but I would have thought the guys running this scam would have given up by now and moved to something new because they have been running it for years to capture really gullible people.

Obviously they feel their scam is still not well known and that there are still plenty of gullible people out there to successfully run their scam on.

Hopefully people who read up on this site are all smart enough not to fall for this type of scam but.............

To refresh the scam for those who may not have not heard of this before here is how it goes.

Scam Details

1. You answer your phone at home or at your business and a male with a strong Indian accent tells you that they have been advised by Microsoft that you have a problem with your computer that must be fixed and that they have been contracted to fix the problem for you. Sometimes they will not mention Microsoft but just that they have been notified that there is a problem and that they are there to repair it for you. (The first time these people phoned me 2 years ago they mentioned Microsoft presumably thinking it would give their call more credibility. Ha Ha. The second time they did not mention MS).

2. If you are gullible enough to fall for this line (and believe it or not some people are) they will quite rudely tell you to turn on your computer.

3. They will then ask you connect to the internet and type in a web address and then request you to download a program from that website to "fix the problem on your computer".

4.. I have never done any of those things obviously but have had it reported that that is what these particular scammers ask you to do.

5. The scam program downloaded will enable them to access your computer and gather valuable information such as log in names and passwords, your credit card details when making any online purchases or logging in to your credit card account, bank details when logging in to do internet banking together with your internet banking passwords and so on. In fact they will gain data to access anything you access. The next thing you know you may have big purchases run up on your credit card and your bank accounts may have been emptied through electronic transfers.

I am raising this because these low life scum bags are still running this scam. They rang me at home last week. This is the second time in 2 years that I have had these cretins call my home as they simply get telehone directories and dial numbers at random or target particular areas.

This is how the last call I received last week went.

Scum Bags: Is that Mr XXX.

Me Yes.

Scum bags: Hello Mr xxx we have been advised that you have a problem with your computer and we are calling to notify you of this and to fix it for you. Would you turn on your computer now.

Me:
How could you possibly know whether or not there is a computer here.

Scum Bags: We have been told you have a problem with your computer and it needs to be fixed so could you turn your computer on now.

Me: I do not have a computer.

Scum Bags: (Some mostly indecipherable gibberish).

Me: You are a filthy low life scum Ixxxxn scammer and a totally ignorant fool and I hope you and your fellow low lifes die soon in a very, very painful death etc etc etc etc. (sorry I cannot repeat the rest of it on this forum even though I would like to )

Then I hung up.

If you have family or friends who might fall victim to this kind of scam then let them know about it just in case.

They had a big crackdown on all the scammers Crackdown on "Microsoft" scammers | News.com.au, A lot of them were based in India..

These types of scams are mostly run out of the Indian subcontinent and they will target USA Canada UK and other english speaking western countries. When running scams like this from countries like India or Russia the scammers can be pretty sure they will not be tracked effectively and shut down.

Back
Top Bottom