Slow System after awhile

Sunrise1

Beta member
Hi

After being on my computer for a while it takes it slows down, when i try to open a web page i click on the address and the computer takes a long time to respond also when i click windows explorer it takes a long time to respond as well.

Also if i leave my computer to sleep (i have windows 7 ultimate) when i click on logon icon it takes ages to respond.

Can anybody help me with this

I don't use sleep mode for this exact reason - I want my PC on and ready. When was the last time you performed a full restart instead of a hibernate/standby?

Also, listen for any odd noises coming from the system - if it works fine at initial startup, but slows down after time, it could also just be something in the OS that is slowing it down (instead of a hardware problem)

I do shut it down it is when i move away from my desk for awhile it goes to the login screen, can i turn this off

Sometimes the hard drive makes a noise like it is reading the drive

i have a Packard Bell imedia AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 4200+ 2.20ghz

Nvidia Gefore 9500GT graphics card

Last edited:
Does the noise sound abnormal? Or is it the normal disk access sound?

Is it the hard drive you're hearing, or something inside of the case (and note, when I say hard drive - I mean the little device that has spinning platters, NOT the case of the computer itself - if you refer to "hard drive" as the entire PC, that's another case entirely... no pun intended)

A slow PC over time is usually attributed to heat built up, a failing component, or a problem with the OS.

If you have given the PC a good dusting recently, and are sure that the fans are all moving the airflow that they need to be, you may need to start checking with the individual components of the system - test the RAM, hard drive, ensure that the OS is clean - no viruses or spy/malware, etc.

Back
Top Bottom