CPU tempreture questions

FisherPric31

Beta member
Hello everyone,

I just had a question about my cpu and the safe temperature I am moderately computer savey but iv never dealt with this specific subject. I bought a brand new AMD FX 8150 8 core 3.6GHz CPU and it came with a factory fan and preplaced thermal paste I had no problem installing it went on first try. I recently started converting a very large video file and its been kicking butt for awhile but I was reading around about safe CPU temps and I read that the safe temp for this CPU was 61 C and being the conserned computer owner I was I downloaded core temp to check the temp and it seems to be hitting 65-66 C I just wanted to see if anyone had any idea what the safe temp is FOR SURE(you can find anything on the internet I didn't know if 61 was right). and if I should be doing a little less hard work with this CPU its been going like this for about 2.5 hours and the temp has stayed steady. any info is greatly appreciated.

I have the same cpu, 61 is max temp. I would check temps through the bios. Im planning on setting up watercooling because stock cpu coolers are very rarely of good quality. There are a lot of aftermarket coolers that perform way better than the box cooler.

thanx for the advice I don't have the money right now but I will soon so any suggestions for heatsinks, fans??

from what i have read this thing is a beast. But its huge.

Noctua
NH-D14
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Or you could go with the h100 by corsair if you want a closed loop water system. But from what I read the noctua actually pefrorms (slightly)better than the h100. Im going to go with a custom loop so i can cool my gpu also. There are also cheaper HSF than the noctua just check out newegg.

I'd recommend the Artic Freezer A30.

I've got it, and it keeps my overclocked Phenom II 965 (which has at least the same thermal output of your CPU) at a cool 50 degrees with no noise under full load.

It's got a giant fan (quieter), has 320Watts of cooling capacity, and I've never had it increase speed from it's lowest setting. It's also rather cheap. It is huge though, but it'll be the last AM3 cooler you'll ever need. Oh, and the heat pipes contact the CPU directly - no block.

Newegg.com - ARCTIC Freezer A30 CPU Cooler for AMD with 120mm PWM Fan and 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes

$50 - although I managed to get it in the UK for £20 a month ago. I'd strongly recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom