Programs

Jeremyr325

Solid State Member
I am we to servers but learning. I have a sever running 2011 I have files shared by a few stations witha mapped drive. Can I load a program on the server and access it from a workstation besides using Remote Desktop I will be on the same network thanks for any help

I am new to servers but can you load a program on a server and access and use from a local machine with out using Remote desk top?

Sounds like you want to look into something like Citrix or Terminal Server. These allow you to host the program on the server and for it to be launche by users connecting to that server.

I'm no expert on the matter so google is probably your best bet.

Alternatively a select few programs would let you do it by simply sharing the program files folder and going to the right program. This only works with programs that don't make entries into your registry or don't need other resources / files on the computer running the program, even then to my knowledge its still a bit of a lottery

This depends entirely on the program. Some programs are network programs, some are not.

You can also look into Terminal Services.

ssc456 said:
Sounds like you want to look into something like Citrix or Terminal Server. These allow you to host the program on the server and for it to be launche by users connecting to that server.

I'm no expert on the matter so google is probably your best bet.

Alternatively a select few programs would let you do it by simply sharing the program files folder and going to the right program. This only works with programs that don't make entries into your registry or don't need other resources / files on the computer running the program, even then to my knowledge its still a bit of a lottery

Isn't terminal server the same as Remote Desktop in windows server 2011. Also I have a million different answer on this is remote a free service or do you have to purchase users. Thanks for the help

Terminal Server is not the same thing as Remote Desktop. Terminal Server will let all your users connect to the server and run a virtual desktop at their desktop. All the processing is basically done on the server. It does use the rdp protocol, but it's not the same. You need to have a license for every terminal server user, I believe.

Remote Desktop is included in Windows, but only 2 -ish users can connect at once to the same server using Remote Desktop connections.

Two seconds of Googling led me to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Services said:
Remote Desktop Services in Windows Server 2008 R2, formerly known as Terminal Services in Windows Server 2008 and previous versions, is one of the components of Microsoft Windows (both server and client versions) that allows a user to access applications and data on a remote computer over a network, using the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP). Terminal Services is Microsoft's implementation of thin-client terminal server computing, where Windows applications, or even the entire desktop of the computer running Terminal Services, are made accessible to a remote client machine. The client can either be a full-fledged computer, running any operating system as long as the terminal services protocol is supported, or a barebone machine powerful enough to support the protocol (such as Windows FLP). With terminal services, only the user interface of an application is presented at the client. Any input to it is redirected over the network to the server, where all application execution takes place.[1] This is in contrast to appstreaming systems, like Microsoft Application Virtualization, in which the applications, while still stored on a centralized server, are streamed to the client on-demand and then executed on the client machine. Microsoft changed the name from Terminal Services to Remote Desktop Services with the release of Windows Server 2008 R2 in October 2009.[2] RemoteFX was added to Remote Desktop Services as part of Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

It does appear that Microsoft has renamed it and thus caused "confusion and delay" (2 cookies for anyone that knows that quote without googling it :lol:). They are very similar, but in order to run Terminal Server you need the licenses that allow you users to connect.

Last edited:
So u use remote service ( terminal servers ) if you are on the same network and also if you are access it from offsite

I have been reading on Remote Desktop not clear though.. I have one server will I be able to run Remote Desktop with additional cals or will I have to purchase a different server to run the RD service. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom