What does usr/local mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think anyone would know. It's so commonly referred to in source code installation instructions that don't make any sense most of the time either.

From what I've found usr stands for Unix System Resources which begs the question what does usr/local mean. Is this a directory? What does it refer to.

If I put usr/local/bin , does it mean that I'm referring to a 'bin' directory declared in the system 'Path' environmental variable "usr/local" ?

I'm guessing but from what I've read it came from the days when memory was scarce and a computers entire software contents needed to be stored on two hard drives. Could it mean that "usr/local" refers to ALL THE UNIX SYSTEM RESOURCES on THIS HARD
DRIVE (the local hard drive)... It's a guess.

Hence the reference usr/local/bin, refers to the location of the 'bin' directories path in relation to the system resources on this hard drive.

Will be interested to hear if I'm close or not...

Clearly I'm not going to get an answer unless I start with something..

Last edited:
Dude, you posted a few hours later, from your reply I thought it'd been weeks! Give us a chance...

/usr/local is essentially the default path on Unix for installing applications. usr is the top level directory, local is a directory within that. See here for a more full explanation: Using /usr/local

Thanks.. I have a mountain of issues lately and seem to be going nowhere.

Can user/local be used in relation to Windows operating environments? Would usr/local in windows be like C:\Windows\SomeDirectory? Is that what you meant?

I'll look at the link you gave me but I'm certain it will lead to another question.

Cheers

If you're looking at this in terms of windows, that's why you'd be getting confused. It's purely a Unix / Linux construct. The closest thing in Windows is probably program files - but still used very differently. It doesn't really exist in the windows world.

aha.. Then thats what I needed to hear.

Thanks mate. I had an inkling but no direction. The internet is so convoluted with linux/uniz/windows/mac terminology I get a little mixed up..

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom