Thermal Paste help?

EasyAi

Beta member
Hey I am on my way into town now for some compressed air, an extra side fan for my case, and some fresh after market thermal paste.

Which compounds do you all recommend for thermal paste? This is my build basically...
I5 2500k on a ga z68 with an above average (but not l33t) heatsink fan. I also have a gtx 570 and was interested in redoing it's heatsink as well. I am comfortable with taking it apart for that, it should be no problem for myself.

Any compound I could use for both to drop my temps by a few degrees? When I oc my 570 it usually floats ~78* and fan is running ~80%. I don't do that like, ever, but I'd like to see it drop a couple digits after a new heatsink compound.

After spending a few years on various forum sites, I can tell you that everyone has their own favorite brand of TIM, which they will swear is the best, and defend to the death.

My advice is Google the top 5, and you cannot go wrong, because there is rarely more than 1c to 1.5c variance between them.

I agree hameister, I did some quick searches on my way into town, and was perfectly happy picking up arctic silver mx2. They only had that and a budget brand paste anyways :/

Any thermal paste will do the Arctic Silver is the better in my experience. The cheap toothpaste looking stuff works to. The differences are minor, if your overheating you may want to look into different cooling.

Any thermal paste will do the Arctic Silver is the better in my experience. The cheap toothpaste looking stuff works to. The differences are minor, if your overheating you may want to look into different cooling.

WRONG Bozo. Not any old paste will do. Some of the cheap stuff is just that, cheap stuff. You could have a catastrophic failure if the thermal conduction properties don't hold up.
"The differences are minor"
Your village called. Seems they're missing their .....

setishock said:
WRONG Bozo. Not any old paste will do. Some of the cheap stuff is just that, cheap stuff. You could have a catastrophic failure if the thermal conduction properties don't hold up.
Your village called. Seems they're missing their .....

Hahahahaha ha! You're uber trolly but you're right nonetheless.

Only ever seen one catastrophic failure of a CPU to failure of heat sink compound drying out but that was in a computer that was about ten years old which I thought did quite well.

All thermal pastes will degrade eventually over time.

What brand CPU paste do you deem cheap?

IMO it comes back if you apply the paste correctly then there should not be any problems.....again my opinion thermal paste should be replaced about every 2 years apart especially if CPU is overclocked to high temps.

Back
Top Bottom