Does this ever happen to you?

wahazelwood

Baseband Member
Here is a cute thing that happens to me sometimes. Instead of copying and pasting folders/files on a fileshare people will drag and drop them. This breaks stuff. The other day I had to spend 2 hours fixing all of a servers folders and files to update permissions so that the proper Advanced Directory groups had the appropriate access to them. When will end users ever learn?

Another fun thing that happens sometimes in provisioning is that people will say they need access to the G:/ drive. Then I will email them and ask for the full file path and they will send something like G:/Finance. And I'm like no, I need a full file path, like server and all. Now I have gotten to where I ask for either the full file path or a screenshot of the user's my computer screen that has access to get the server name. The ridiculous thing is we will go through this process lets say if John requests this access for Karen, we will go through like 5 emails...like the whole 9 yards. Then after I have forgotten about it (like a week later) John will request access for Mary in the same manner. We will again have to go through the whole 9 yards about how to get the correct folder again. PEBCAK!! :)

Would it not be better to map certain drives to fixed letters?

Also, your problem sounds very solvable using Groups...

We do have AD groups, but when you have like 10 servers, and thousands of folders on those servers theres a ton of groups. And it is impossible to keep up with them all so there has got to be a way to look them up. If they give me the full path I can easily look up the correct group to put them in. But they gotta give me something better than G:/ drive...

Back
Top Bottom