PHP Scripts

glbracer

Solid State Member
I can't believe this. $1,000 for a PHP script? $250? I could buy five years of webhosting and make my own PHP script in that time. Basically, I'm trying to make a mini-social network. Nothing too much, just a small Facebook-like thing. With profile pictures, pictures, updates, profiles, friends, groups, 'like' pages, the simple stuff. It's for a roleplay thing. I know that players don't want to reveal who they really are so I thought I'd have a small Facebook-like social network. Anyways, my point in posting this is, how hard is PHP scripting? What would I need to make something like this?

You'd need a solid grasp of a database engine / language of your choice (most likely some derivative of SQL) a solid grasp of a server side language of your choice (PHP, RubyonRails, Java Servlets) and a solid grasp of HTML / JS since this is what your server side language will output.

Brush up on those, and then experiment away!

Note though that this isn't a small project, and unless you're just doing it for academic reasons there's not a huge amount of point - networks like this exist already. Ask yourself what you stand to gain from the project, or what others gain from it - and if you struggle to answer that question in a concrete fashion, think long and hard about whether it's worth it.

You'd need a solid grasp of a database engine / language of your choice (most likely some derivative of SQL) a solid grasp of a server side language of your choice (PHP, RubyonRails, Java Servlets) and a solid grasp of HTML / JS since this is what your server side language will output.

Brush up on those, and then experiment away!

Note though that this isn't a small project, and unless you're just doing it for academic reasons there's not a huge amount of point - networks like this exist already. Ask yourself what you stand to gain from the project, or what others gain from it - and if you struggle to answer that question in a concrete fashion, think long and hard about whether it's worth it.

This. $1000 is cheap for something like this.

There are some pre-made, open source social network sites/scripts out there - such as Elgg and Diaspora. Try those out.

This isn't tough website, first you need to have a web-server that run php script, if the server contains a database server would be great, otherwise you have to rent a database server too. (recommand you can host your site on dreamhost which has everything you need) Second, if you already familiar with php language then you can just start coding, otherwise spend some time to learn it, it wouldn't take you long time, just about 1,2 months. Third, need to have some knowledge on the structure of the web design. Forth, UI is very important to a website so get some artists to design for you, or you can try your self but it's hard. Fifth, need to be aware about the css style, because it's various for different browsers.

Back
Top Bottom