Suggestions for new PSu

thomas49th

In Runtime
PSU (XFX 650) just died, going to take some time for RMA, need suggestions for a new PSU.

Let's say I need 750W plus for future proofing. Don't want to spend more than £80. Can someone point me towards a good PSU?

If RMA accepted might try and ask for a 750W. I will probs sell a PSU on after RMA successful.

Thanks
Thomas

OCZ, Thermaltake, Corsair, Antec, NZXT are all good quality PSUs. Even XFX is actually a good PSU, sorry to hear you got a bad one.

Corsair is my current favorite PSU brand, with OCZ and Antec making the list as close seconds.

My personal belief is that a lower-watt, but higher quality PSU (like the one Der-PC-Mann linked to) will serve you much better than a low quality higher watt PSU.

Very true. :p Cheap PSUs offer high wattage, but are usually always terrible in every other way, such as 12v amps, and are also usually dual 12v rail which isn't as good as one solid 12v rail. Reliability is also a crapper with cheap PSUs.

...that said, I got my PSU quite cheap (£25) and it's powering a high-end fancy rig, so I'm not complaining. I am having to upgrade, though, as I'm planning on using SLI, and I can hear my PSU humming, so it's close to its limit.

And I agree. Der-PC-Man I got 2 non description 600W PSUs a few years back. Both of them were quite light in weight and at some point, both suffered from an internal wiring coming loose and clipping against the 12cm fan. An (unproved) theory is that the glue got hot, letting the wires come loose. Anyway opening them and wrapping it around another wire fixed both of them. However, last year one did kinda die (PC wouldn't turn on sometimes).

I was actually thinking about this fella

http://www.ebuyer.com/257232-corsair-tx-650w-v2-psu-80plus-bronze-certified-cmpsu-650txv2uk

My current rig is

Q6700 @ stock
x38 mobo
ATI 5850 vapor-x
bunch of hdds and ssd

I've got another vapor-x 5850 coming. You reckon I should aim for a higher wattage? Don't want to spend too much, as though I'm likely to just get a partial refund from XFX (hoping it's good as I got the PSU cheaper 1.5 years ago than it is worth new now), it is not guarenteed, and I may get it fixed and sent back, leaving me out of pocket £££s and with a spare (though hopefully saleable) PSU.

Anyway let me know what you think and I'll hopefully order it for delivery tomorrow :)

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

edit:

I've just seen the post above
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMP...WQIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333663697&sr=8-1

Reckon I should go with that over the ebuyer one i just posted?

EDIT2:

Think ill get this one
http://www.electronicsandcameras.co...-v2-high-performance-power-supply-tx750-750w/

Are the cables modular (can you pull them in and out)
will need 4 PCI-E power connectors for 2 hd5850s (2 per card).

Agreed it's a good choice?

Really sorry I missed your reply, I've been busy. :|

My brain is a bit mushy, ATM, as it's 5am and I've still not slept. :p However, I believe the 650w Corsair and the latter would work beautifully. Unless you're planning on running multiple GPUs and and several more power-sucking devices, and I'd say you're gonna be very much fine with the TX650. The modular PSUs are usually always considerably more expensive, unless they're partly modular; can't remember the fancy name for that. Ah, just read that you'll need 4 PCI-E cables, so you'll want to steer clear of the 650w as it has only 2. The 750w is what (wattwhat? :p) I'm probably going to get, or the 850w version. I do believe the 750w has 4 S-ATA cables that you require. *checks* Yep, as I figured, it has 4. :p Sounds like that 750w is ideal for you!

EDIT:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume you only need 1 PCI-E cable per GPU, which, yes, means you'll have 2 spare, but more importantly, it means you can upgrade in the future to get something more powerful, without necessarily needing to purchase a new PSU - Bonus.

Back
Top Bottom