Hooking up a 3rd monitor?

hawk1sr

Beta member
I have an Nvidea Geforce 7300 LE that has one vga port and one dvi-i port. I also have an integrated vga output, for a total of 3 possible monitor? I have SUCCESSIVELY connected and used 2 monitors, one is connected to the vga on the graphics card and the other one is connected to the integrated graphics card. Is it possible for me to connect a 3rd monitor to the DVI-I port on the graphics card? I have 3 identical Dell E196FP monitors. I have already tried connecting the monitor with a dvi-D to vga cable, but it didnt work (im assuming it has to be a dvi-i connector to vga cable)? if in my situation it is impossible, then what graphics card would you recommend?

Windows 7
64 bit
i have one traditional pci slot not being used.
and a pci express x16 slot currently being used by my graphics card.

(I have a total of THREE vga/dvi-i ports)
i have asked this question on many other forums and websites but no one seems to have a definitive answers that works. please help me, i really need to have a 3rd monitor. (im a day trader). Thank you very much

There's not much of a reason why it shouldn't work if you're already using the onboard video. The only thing I can suggest however is to spring for a video card with more than two outputs (one HDMI, two DVI for example) and then using adapters where necessary.

There's a ton of cards out there if you don't care about gaming, just give us a price point and we can suggest one from there.

What kind of system do you have? If I know more about the motherboard and video card being used, I might be able to find out if we can save you the money in the first place (myself or someone else)

I have a windows 7
compaq presario
AMD athlon 2
Nvidia GeForce 7300LE.
I would like not to spend more than $150 usd. I will be doing some gameing, like wow etc. and i would like to have 3 vga ports on it.

Well, I don't know of any consumer video cards that have THREE VGA ports on them, but I do know of a few that have three outputs, and then it's just up to you to either pick a card that has the adapters already, or buy the adapters.

This card has two DVIs and one HDMI that would work alright:
Newegg.com - JATON Video-PX638-DLP GeForce GT 220 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

Problem is, you'd have to find either an HDMI to VGA adapter, or, more conveniently, a DVI to VGA adapter (which is more common)

Is VGA the only input that your monitors can do?

yea, they all only use vga. and the graphics card i already have is 1 vga port and 1 dvi i port. so i want one with at least 3 ports.

You won't find a video card on the market with three VGA ports without using some kind of adapter system. That being said, there's nothing really wrong with that. I'd use the DVI output on the one monitor, just to get it out of the equation, and then use the VGA adapters for the other two (if necessary)

Getting a card like this:

Newegg.com - MSI R6670-MD1GD5 Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

and then using an HDMI to DVI adapter, and a DVI to VGA adapter should fit your needs just fine, if not a little clunky.

Back
Top Bottom