Cloud server?

AMMO35

Beta member
I saw a company offering cloud servers up to 15.5 GB. I'm new to all this so can someone explain what they mean by a "cloud" server?

Dang I guess that's how they trick people like me into thinking it's something special.

A Cloud Server is a Virtual Machine (VM) that is hosted in a shared pool of computing resources. Cloud Servers are similar to VPS's however they exist on a pool of shared server resources and are isolated from failure of individual hardware nodes. Individual servers run off of easily portable VMware and Xen virtual machine files.

its basically a PC / server that you can access on the internet

A cloud server is like a server that you can sync multiple destinations for your data. I'll use Apple's for example. Let's say you get an important email on your iPhone, but not on your Mac or other Apple device. If you back it up with the cloud server, all of your linked Apple devices can sync up and download and upload everything.

A cloud server is a server that you access over the internet instead of having it in an office, in your building. it's your server but it's located somewhere else, and you are basically trusting a company that you know nothing about with your precious data.

blog.expert-its.com

I'm not a big avocate of buzz technology. However cloud computing can be quite useful for many reasons, depending upon what you're getting for your money of course. One advantage is some amount of abstraction around server management. You can focus on the business problem hopefully more than physical hardware. Plus, you sometimes can have fault tolerance and clustering, that you need not worry about, but adds additional layers of availability. It is hard to say for sure if it is something you should consider, but I don't think it's *always* a waste.

Back
Top Bottom