Need help with westell 7500 century link wont help.

striker1

Beta member
Hey guys. Been sitting here trying to figure this out for hours and I cant find what I need anywhere. Let me start off by saying that you might as well talk to me like im 5 when it comes to computers. I just know how to type :eek:.

I rent a westell 7500 from century link and found the exact same modem at a yard sale for $5 so I got it to save some money. I did on line chat with cl and they wont help me cause they are loosing money so here is all I have tried. Its all I know to do. Just un plugged this one and plugged the new one in. The internet light would not come on. So what do I do? I got the modem close to home so it was from the same place. The seller had a note on the modem that said they got other service and cl would not take it back. The modem came bare bones with nothing extra in the way of install cd or papers. Not even a cardboard box. Please help if u can. Thanks in advance.

They are not plug and play. They have to be programmed. Put the old one back online and log in to the setup. Get all the info on how it's programmed. Power up the new one and plug in to a lan port. Not the wan but the lan. Log in to the setup and program the new one to match the old one. Take it online and see if it syncs up. If not then your isp is using the internal serial numbers to identify the one you're supposed to have and you're dead in the water. Go back to the one you were using and go from there.

ok...

plug your old modem. get it so it's working and you can connect to the internet.

Then from your computer click on start, and in the run box type CMD and press ok.

If you're using either Linux, or a Mac, then start the terminal program.

Once you've done that,
on windows type
ipconfig /all

on a mac, or linux, type
ifconfig /all

Somewhere in all the information that comes up, there will be a line of text that says something like:

default gateway: 192.168.1.1

Tell us what that line says, then we'll go with the next instructions to help you progress:

On a slightly different note, can you pick 1 user name/account and just use that one rather than creating multiple accounts?

It says 10.0.0.1

I use fire fox and we all use one user account. We just click on the fire fox icon to get online. No password or anything like that to log on.

ok.

So your gateway address is 10.0.0.1

What you need to do now is use your browser (firefox or Internet Explorer, or Chrome) and type http://10.0.0.1 into the address bar.

this should give you a login page.
I'm not sure what the default password is for your router, but I'd type admin/password first. then admin/admin, then I'd just call the tech support and ask them.

once you'd gotten into the router, you should see a load of details about how your connecttion is setup.

the user name that's used, any settings for how the line is configured.

you'll need to write these settings down. thn plug in your new router, and copy the settings to this router.

then once all the settings are correct your new router should start working.

Edit: I tried the gateway address with the new modem plugged in and it wont do anything. When the guy brought me the rental it was already programed so all I had to do was plug it in. They must have a way to do it remotely but that does not work :(.

Okay I got it. Had to have the new one plugged in then reset it. It then asked for the un and pw. I had to call and get it but it worked. Thanks a lot for your help Root. Im saving about $80 a year thanks to this. Every bit helps.

Back
Top Bottom