Something Wrong with My USB Adapter

Harthos1

Solid State Member
Hi, I have Windows 7 64 bit on a custom built computer. It is a nice computer, built by a friend from Geek Squad, and I've had it for like 3 years. Anyway, just recently, my USB Internet Adapter stopped working.
Apparently, it will "CONNECT", but says I have no acces to the Network, OR the internet-(then what's the frekin point!?)
First, I thought it might be the USB extension cord it was attached to, but even when I plugged it into a different USB hub, or directly into the usb ports in the back of the computer, it still didn't pick up.
So then, I decided to restart, and open up Ubuntu. Surprise! The internet works FINE in Ubuntu, with the same adapter, regardless of how I plug it up.

Oh, BTW it is a ENCORE adapter. Any help would be great.

See if Windows updated your USB driver recently.

Also, if your internet adapter has a built-in firewall, then Windows Firewall may be interfering with it. I run into that a lot, myself-- Windows does an automated update and turns the firewall back on, ruining someone's day until I can turn it back off when I get home from work.

I got it.

It turned out, I just had to switch the Wireless router to WEP Shared

Ooh... You can't go to WPA? It may be time to upgrade your adapter.

In fact, it might not be a bad idea to get a wireless add-in card, if you can find one-- might be a little faster and free up a USB slot.

Back
Top Bottom