Need new wireless USB modem every time?

CFu

Baseband Member
Hello,

I have purchased a wireless USB modem stick in a foreign country (you know, those USB sticks that give you mobile internet). What I would like to know is: do I have to buy a new USB modem stick for each country separate in order to be able to use a 3G connection in that country, or do I just have to swap SIM cards (because each provider has its own SIM card)?

I don't know if the USB modem is tied to some SIM card pre-configuration, but I bought a pre-configured, ready-to-use pack. So I don't know if the app/modem is tied to the chip or if I can just pop in the SIM card of a country-specific provider and go on the internet.

I have just checked out my custom mobile app's (the one that came with it) internet settings and they say this:

APN: static
Access number based
IP: dynamic
Auth: PAP
DNS: dynamic
WINS: dynamic
Registration mode: auto search and register

I don't know what that access number applies to, but I'm afraid if it won't work with another SIM card. I don't even know if my SIM card will auto-pickup those settings with its provider of if it's a provider-based, remotely-configured thing.

Buying a new USB modem for each country would be quite expensive.. of course the alternative would be to buy a netbook with a built-in 3G module. However, if I can swap SIM cards it would be cheaper for me.

Any ideas?

Thanks

for me,, you can just a 3g capable phones as a modem to your notebook or laptop, the first thing you do if your on a different country is to have their simcard for the mobile provider of that country. then ask the mobile provider if they have an internet too, then config your phone to the internet setting of that simcard, if you were able to have an internet to your cellphone,, then you can use that 3g capable phone as internet modem to your notebook, note: that usb modem should be openline to any simcard if you want to use it in other counrty in my case i cannot find that kind of usb that is openline! so you have to buy a usb from that country so i just go to make my phone as a modem, because my phone is openline and it can accept any simcard/mobile provider..
just note the important things in setting up the connection is to know the APN or access point of the internet provider.

Back
Top Bottom