How do i change my IP address?

bravematt

Beta member
Like, if i type in "www.cmyip.com" and it shows my ip, how do i change that?

i think i know how to change my 192.168.X.XXX but the Cmyip.com, how do i change that?

its a REALLY long story, but my friend posted my IP online as a joke and now im scared that hackers are going to go after it!

Thanks!

If you're on dhcp (dynamic ip) than it should change automatically. Could try ipconfig /renew in a command prompt to force one. The only time it changes for me is when i change routers.

Doesn't quite work the same way with ISPs, as ipconfig only deals with the local network address not the global IP which the modem would give to the world.

First and foremost if the cable modem is powered on 24/7 there is the possibility that the IP will never change. By nature of DHCP, they are on a lease time and try to renew their lease about half-way through. Some routers have the option to force modems to do an ISP equivilent of the IPconfig/release and /renew though. Short of keeping the modem unplugged for a few days you could try that.

Don't worry, unless you specifically ordered internet service with a static IP address (and you would know because it is a lot more expensive and usually only available for business accounts) your outside IP will change... a lot. I bet if you checked right now you're outside IP has already changed...

Doesn't quite work the same way with ISPs, as ipconfig only deals with the local network address not the global IP which the modem would give to the world.

First and foremost if the cable modem is powered on 24/7 there is the possibility that the IP will never change. By nature of DHCP, they are on a lease time and try to renew their lease about half-way through. Some routers have the option to force modems to do an ISP equivilent of the IPconfig/release and /renew though. Short of keeping the modem unplugged for a few days you could try that.

Don't worry, unless you specifically ordered internet service with a static IP address (and you would know because it is a lot more expensive and usually only available for business accounts) your outside IP will change... a lot. I bet if you checked right now you're outside IP has already changed...

Which is strange since mine only changes upon router changes, not modem. I have even changed my modem and got a new mac address, assuming that by now it must change, but it was still the same. The day i change m router to a better one, it changes.... But i change modems and nothing happens. And i'm on the "broadband" plan from time warner, 10/1 consumer plan. I even asked and the only way to get static is a business plan, defiantly not on one of those.

You know, your friend could have sent you a script that automatically fills in a blank with your IP, making him think he did. But even if he does post your IP, if you have a router with a decent firewall and no port forwarding enabled, you shouldn't have to worry much. The other thing to consider is if your router's config page is available on the outside (DMZ) or if you can only access it internally.

I have even changed my modem and got a new mac address, assuming that by now it must change, but it was still the same. The day i change m router to a better one, it changes.... But i change modems and nothing happens.
Assuming the Time Warner system out there is the same as the one by me, that makes sense actually. WHen you get a new modem, TW has to sync it to your account. If you already have an IP that you are releasing from the old modem they'll just set it to your new modem. When you switch routers everything is seen as different network and has a higher potential (but still not guranteed) to switch IPs

I'm still learning but can you even change Public IP addresses? I'm assuming the only way is to contact the ISP. Someone correct me if I'm wrong because I'd like to know

Back
Top Bottom