Ubuntu Wireless

atomichybrid

In Runtime
Okay so here is the problem I wasnt too sure whether this would be a hardware issue or some network issue.

Ive been using Ubuntu for few months and I think its a good software. Well lately when ever I want to connect to my wireless network it sometimes doesnt connect. I've been speculating this odd behaviour and wondered why, it turns out that once I've restarted the router I can connect again. So what I dont know is this odd behaviour between my Operating system and my router.

I would be delighted to hear a few theories or known problems for the cause.

Cheers

EDIT: My Router is a Billion 7404VGPX and the wifi card on the laptop is an Intel 5100.

Do you have any other wireless devices, and if so do they have the same issues connecting? Or is it only when running Ubuntu that you are having the problem?

I have another laptop that connects wirelessly too but has Windows on it and there seems to be no conflict with it, I believe it happens when I run Ubuntu 10.10, I dont know why but it happens, this is not frequent behaviour (out of 10 logins, 2 logins wont connect to the net properly) and it does annoy me to restart the router everytime I use Ubuntu.

What do you mean by wont connect? Is it that you can't browse the web, or that it wont actually connect to the wireless network? It could be an IP address based issue... try setting your adapter to use a static address, rather than getting automatically via DHCP

Do you use WPA encryption?

Enter the following into a terminal

"sudo aptitude install linux-backports-modules-wireless-maverick-generic"

I use WPA2 enryption and the adapter does automatically get the address from DHCP. Can someone explain the difference of static and automatic DHCP? Its just so I would better understand this problem and Im a noob when it comes to networking.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom