802.11 a/b/g/??????

piloohanda

Solid State Member
Hello all

I want to know that is it possible to use all the different wireless protocol within one same network? for example
802.11a/g give more speed as compare to /B
and in my organisation i have VLAN as follows : staff, accouting, admin(director-ceo) i want that certain dept. should have more speed and i know A/G give more throughput. so it is possible that i can use A/G for admin dept and /b for staff??? and what alternative am i left with apart from 802.11 a/b/g/n????/
Thanks

In order for a network to be considered a network, several things need to be the same - mainly, the protocols used. In order to form a network, all computers need to be running the same protocols, e.g. TCP/IP and 802.3/802.11g/b/n. The protocol variation used will be dictated by your router, and everything that connects to that router will use the same protocol by the time the signal gets there, randomly swapping protocols in networks is more likely to just slow everything down. I'd assume that most of your computers would have G-band compatible wireless cards, and G-band is the most common band around today. 802.11g is 54mbps. If all your PCs support 802.11n, this can be considerably faster.

I would consider doing this through network throttling. If you have a decent firewall / router, you could use throttling via MAC address to limit the bandwith used by your lower tiered users, or even figure out a Q.O.S. solution giving a certain tier priority on data usage. But all that is dependent on your HW firewall or ISA or Router or whatnot.

Back
Top Bottom