Windows 2000 Help!

FORDSVTPARTS

In Runtime
I just picked up a laptop for free and it has windows 2000 pro on it and i dont know the password. I Have already tried booting into safe mode but no cigar, can you help?

Get a Windows 2000 disc, wipe, and reinstall. Use the product key on the laptop. You should be able to get the disc or iso from the usual sources.

If there's anything on it you need to keep, get a linux live disc and an external HDD or something, and copy what you need.

Run a program called Ophcrack.. Bruteforce the password with the basic dictionaries that come with it. It should be simple enough to find it after a few hours. If not, just reinstall.

Get a Windows 2000 disc, wipe, and reinstall. Use the product key on the laptop. You should be able to get the disc or iso from the usual sources.

If there's anything on it you need to keep, get a linux live disc and an external HDD or something, and copy what you need.

Agreed. If there's nothing on it you want, just grab the disc and reinstall with the key. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE KEY FIRST. If not, you'll need to find a program that will read Windows 2000 keys and attempt to read it. This would most likely require throwing the HDD in as a slave drive in another computer and then running the program.

Run a program called Ophcrack.. Bruteforce the password with the basic dictionaries that come with it. It should be simple enough to find it after a few hours. If not, just reinstall.

Bruteforce is way too much work unless there's truly something critical he needs off of it which he cannot transfer via linux. I don't even know what an example of that would be. Reinstalling is the best solution.

Did you have the right version? Did you try 32 bit? Currently i am able to install ubuntu 11.04 32bit on a machine very similar to the age of yours. Mine is from 2003, if server 2000 is on that one, it's probably before 2003.

download our boot disk and use the password tools on there. Computer Forums - Computer Forums Free Boot Disk
Thanks! I Hope It Works!
This Computer used to belong to an insurance company, I Did Try HIREN'S BOOT CD and it didnt work, i think they might have put some sort of mega firewall on it hopefully this one works!

Did you have the right version? Did you try 32 bit? Currently i am able to install ubuntu 11.04 32bit on a machine very similar to the age of yours. Mine is from 2003, if server 2000 is on that one, it's probably before 2003.
the version i used
10.10 32 bit

Agreed. If there's nothing on it you want, just grab the disc and reinstall with the key. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE KEY FIRST. If not, you'll need to find a program that will read Windows 2000 keys and attempt to read it. This would most likely require throwing the HDD in as a slave drive in another computer and then running the program.

Bruteforce is way too much work unless there's truly something critical he needs off of it which he cannot transfer via linux. I don't even know what an example of that would be. Reinstalling is the best solution.

Do a fresh install of the OS. If you don't have a copy of Win 2000, try a linux distro like Ubuntu.

The Problem is i tried ubuntu on the machine and it kept getting stuck and wouldnt install!

download our boot disk and use the password tools on there. Computer Forums - Computer Forums Free Boot Disk

I know I've been away from the forum for a while, but that's awesome! When did we get that? (sorry, slightly off topic)

Thanks! I Hope It Works!
This Computer used to belong to an insurance company, I Did Try HIREN'S BOOT CD and it didnt work, i think they might have put some sort of mega firewall on it hopefully this one works!

the version i used
10.10 32 bit

I Did try the CFBD and that didnt work either!

Back
Top Bottom