WiFi router working with server DHCP

calebsurface

Solid State Member
Okay so I have a Mac XServe as the hub of my network wich does the DHCP for the whole network. It I'd connected to an Ethernet hub wich run hard line cat5 cable to pretty much every computer in the building. Also connected to that hub I have 2 Linksys WiFi boxes connected that I have set up to point traffic aty server. My problem is this: the Linksys boxes are creating their own LAN instead of making computers and devises connected to the point to the LAN with the server. The boxes funnel all internet connections through the server automatically, but how can I get them to connect automatically to the servers network? Thanks for any help I get.

You need to go into the setup of each Linksys box and turn off DHCP. Be sure to tell them the IP address of your DHCP server (and it should also be the DNS host). I recommend giving each of them a fixed IP address in the Server, to avoid confusion.

You need to go into the setup of each Linksys box and turn off DHCP. Be sure to tell them the IP address of your DHCP server (and it should also be the DNS host). I recommend giving each of them a fixed IP address in the Server, to avoid confusion.

You shouldn't nessicarily have to give them the IP of the DHCP machine...

But yeah, just disable DHCP on the devices. As you mentioned, fixed IP's for the Access Points would be a good idea. You could do this by setting a static ip on each device, or configuring a fixed IP within the DHCP server settings of OSX - you can do it by the MAC address of each network device.

Back
Top Bottom