Leaving Rep for new members

iPwn

..m.0,0.m..,
In any forum community, reputation is sought after by many users. Reputation gives you that warm and fuzzy that you did something right or helped somebody in some way. Now, I'm not looking for rep, because frankly, I was pwnd. lol No really though, I just wanted to drop a note to all the members that when we do get new members, be on the lookout for where they help out. I've come across a few posts that newer members have helped or solved a problem and yet they have no positive reputation. I believe that it will drive continued use of the forums as it's that pat on the back saying thank you from the forum community or whoever left the positive reputation. So, when you see the newer members without rep or low rep, give em a hand. We've lost a lot of our senior members and only a select few have x thousand rep points*. Let's see if we can get an entire community of high rep'd users (Contingent upon them helping of course ;) )

*Those select few are of course rockstars, but let's get MOAR!!!!

The rep system is incomplete, however...

If you get people handing out rep regularly, you end up with massive inflation. Then the top people tend to stop handing out rep.

vBulletin really needs to implement dial-a-rep: when handing out rep, you get to select how much rep to give out, from 0 to your max allowable.

This reduces inflation and makes the reputation system work a lot better.

Another option would be adding the "Give Thanks" button which would be almost the same as reputation but that would really be a thanks.

I used to be a rock star. . . :p

And you still are in my book ;)

The rep system is incomplete, however...

If you get people handing out rep regularly, you end up with massive inflation. Then the top people tend to stop handing out rep.

vBulletin really needs to implement dial-a-rep: when handing out rep, you get to select how much rep to give out, from 0 to your max allowable.

This reduces inflation and makes the reputation system work a lot better.

I wonder if this is even possible on VB... it's certainly an excellent idea...

I've seen a Thanks mod used on a vB forum, but I don't know where to get it. If it adds to the user's rep, then it would definitely be a good idea.
As for adjusting how much rep to give, that would be cool, but that would also make us lose the benefit rep receivers get when a user with a lot of positive rep gives them some.

Another cool thing to see is + and - buttons on a post, which would make it a lot easier to rep people, like on IP.Board.

Back
Top Bottom