The Protect IP Act

xtropx

Baseband Member
The Internet is under attack. The Protect IP Act (Formerly COICA) has been passed in congress.
Protect IP Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has been put on hold: Sen. Wyden blocks Internet censorship bill - PROTECT IP Act - Portland Progressive | Examiner.com
...but this is likely to only stall it.

I am posting to ask what you personally are going to be doing about this, if anything, and to discover methods to circumvent Chinese-style censorship in America. I will be using a VPN, but I am unsure how well it will work. I am looking into projects to create a decentralized internet infrastructure, (projects like i2p: I2P Anonymous Network - I2P) but I really don't know much about it.

Nobody knows? Nobody cares? I would think everybody would be talking about this.

I care a lot, how can outside countries be affected? I thought they're safe because the country they live in does not have anything against what those torrent sites do? Now it doesn't matter?

Well it appears that it is a joint effort between countries for the most part. In both the Europe and the Americas the government is cracking down on 'file sharing' and passing draconian legislature that threatens the liberties of its people.

Oh well, there'll be ways around it in the end so no worries. Not like we can name any "protection against pirators" here that have actually worked in the past, so i doubt this will matter either. :) But i could be wrong, even though it has to do with software.

this will change the way we use the internet forever this is not something to just brush off ive been following this and its not just to stop p2p this will put an end to free speech on the internet as we know it. they will be able to just block sites that they don't want us to view so all these private news sites that tell the news the way it really happens will be no more and p2p will be shut down as well unless we do something to stop this.

I have been trying to get people interested in things like OneSwarm and i2p. They are really not that hard to use, and as more people use them, the technology has the potential to grow. Anyone with a little tech savy and knowledge of port forwarding could get them to work pretty easily. Other then that I usually donate to DemandProgress and alike when I can afford it. Sometimes a little goes a long way.

Back
Top Bottom