NAS Server Question

tj107us1

In Runtime
Hey guys, im looking at building my first NAS server and i want to install FreeNAS software. I was looking on there website and they have a bunch of different ones to download. Here is the specs of the computer im going to run it on.
HP Pavilion 763n
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.53GHz/533MHz
RAM: 512MB DDR Pc2100 ( might get a 1Gb stick to replace the 512Mb one)
HDD: Maxtor 30Gb IDE
Video: Gforce 4 card (but wont need after the server is up and running)
Built in Ethnet port

Which download will i need and will my system work

thats for any and all help!!
tj

I downloaded it, and i cant find any document showing how to use the 8.0 verison. Can anyone post a link that shows me how to setup the 8.0 verison.

thanks
tj

thanks for the info, do you know how to transfer the files(music,videos,pictures,etc.) to the storage drives? I cant figure out how and only vids ive found where how to install freeNAS.[...]

A computer running FreeNAS acts as a file server on your local network. Once you have it configured and connected to your network you can access it by it's local network IP address, for example 192.168.0.100 (if that is in fact the IP address you assign to it), or by it's network name. As charles123krik suggested, you might get more help at the FreeNAS forum.

so you cant access it anywhere in the world with just a sinple internet connection? If not, is all NAS servers like that (even the Prebuilt i.e Qnap, Netgear, etc.). See i what a storage server where i can load all my crap, and then be able to access it everywhere (that is if i have a internet connection).

It is possible to configure a VPN over the Internet that would allow connecting to your network attached storage. You may want to start a different thread titled "Configuring NAS for access from the Internet".

Back
Top Bottom