Multiple OS at startup?

grullborg

Baseband Member
How would I be able to run Ubuntu 10.10 next to Windows XP? Everyone says to use UserOS, but I still am confused. Advice would be much appreciated.

I think this would be possible with VMware, otherwise if you have seperate harddrives you can install Ubuntu on one and Windows XP on the other and choose which one you want to boot off of the boot menu.

You will need at least a separate partition to install Ubuntu to. As mentioned, this could be a second hard drive, or you can partition the existing harddrive using a utility such as gparted, assuming you aren't willing to format your drive and reinstall Windows XP.

You can also just download Ubuntu and install inside of windows. This will give you the multiple OS Start-up and allow you to run either, but Ubuntu is actually stored on your C: Drive.

You will need at least a separate partition to install Ubuntu to. As mentioned, this could be a second hard drive, or you can partition the existing harddrive using a utility such as gparted, assuming you aren't willing to format your drive and reinstall Windows XP.

1. Make two partitions
  2. Install Windows
  3. Install Ubuntu

If you already have Windows installed, and don't want to reinstall something like EASEUS can help.

Not to sound even more stupid, but how do you "install" ubuntu on a separate hard drive? Do you just leave the iso file as is on the second hard drive, or do you have to do something else as well?

First you need to understand what partitioning is. Partitioning is taking a single hard drive, physical drive, and separating it out into two or more 'logical' drives. This essentially makes your computer believe that there are now two hard drives in your computer. (It knows it's one separated but just play along). You want to install Windows on the main, or first, partition, your new C: Drive. When you install Windows 7, you can click on the Advanced button at drive selection time and then you can delete the partition, and create a new, smaller partition. You want to install Ubuntu (by burning the ISO to a disc and placing it in the drive) second as this will also install Grub, which is the nice little menu that lets you pick which Operating System to startup.

I haven't used EASEUS, but tomek claims that it may help with not losing your Windows files. This most likely partitions out your blank space into another drive so you never have to mess up the existing partition. I would defrag your drive before using it though as defragmentation usually puts all the files at the beginning of the drive leaving more partitionable space. (Yes, I know that's not a word)

To answer your question straight up, you have to burn the ISO to a disc and boot from it. You can also (if it's Ubuntu) just run it from Windows and install a copy "Inside Windows" as mentioned above and you can avoid this whole partitioning mess. If you're looking to use Ubuntu long term, then partition.

The installation is within Windows. It's not a program that you can run, per say, but it does appear in the Windows Add/Remove programs list and is installed on the same drive as Windows. It's like installing Linux, but from the safety (If you consider Windows safe...heh) of your home OS.

Back
Top Bottom