Computer program severly overheats my laptop

the exhaust fans are heating up the desk below the laptop, which is in-turn heating the laptop back further. The best desks for heat dissipation are glass and metal desks, because wood isn't a very good conductor of heat.

hmm... I have a wooden desk, I'll try putting it on my coffee table. Is marble a good conductor of heat?

Really?

Sounds like My teenager responding to any suggestions I make to her.

Ah, perhaps I should have said "intend to ignore".

Hm. As I recall, this forum doesn't allow for links in signatures, which is why my usual signature is not in place here: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

See, if you only outlined the problem properly to begin with, there would be none of this back-and-forth, 'give me suggestions so I can reject them', nonsense. And you never know, you might surprise yourself by discovering the solution before even posting the question.

Keep that in mind before you start typing bs.

... I don't believe running it too long is the problem. And I believe my laptop is powerful enough to run most programs...

As for processor/graphics intensive programs, I doubt that would be the problem...

As for blowing out dust, I don't think that will be necessary...

With the laptop on my desk... I seriously doubt I'll have to worry about that...
Dude, nice try, The way you used those^ quotes was selfish and inaccurate. You left out my reasoning to make this look worse on my part. Not cool.

See, if you only outlined the problem properly to begin with, there would be none of this back-and-forth, 'give me suggestions so I can reject them', nonsense.
Did you expect me to give you ALL the specs of my computer? Doesn't that sound excessive? I was lookin for software suggestions and didn't think it would be necessary at the time. The point is to give the information you think everyone will require and if that is not enough, you ask for some more.

Fine here's your specs (below the quote) if it'll make you feel better.

I don't believe running it too long is the problem. And I believe my laptop is powerful enough to run most programs.

As for processor/graphics intensive programs, I doubt that would be the problem.
Duh, it has Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU M 620 @ 2.67GHz. 1300$ laptop will run that stuff.
500GB hard drive (not SSD)
4GB ram
NVIDIA® Optimus™ technology video card
5 usb ports
1 SATA port
1 SD slot
audio jack
mic jack
1920 X 1080 screen res

is that satisfactory or minimally to your standards?

As for blowing out dust, I don't think that will be necessary.
Dngrsone, did you read WHY?

With the laptop on my desk... I seriously doubt I'll have to worry about that...
See who I replied to, the sub-topic lacked seriousness and I was not ignoring any solution; there was none!

Hm. As I recall, this forum doesn't allow for links in signatures, which is why my usual signature is not in place here: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way
Did my last reply have anything to do with links in signatures? :\

Sounds like My teenager responding to any suggestions I make to her.
So you are a parent? Funny thing is that unlike you I am mature enough to break this conflict apart. You being a parent (and me being pre-teen) you should already know that skill, but I'm seeing irony here... On top of that you began it. (and don't say I continued it! I had to defend myself.)

I came to this forum to get information, not to get in a conflict. End this crap and continue the goddamn thread.

the exhaust fans are heating up the desk below the laptop, which is in-turn heating the laptop back further. The best desks for heat dissipation are glass and metal desks, because wood isn't a very good conductor of heat.

You don't want it to conduct heat though.

So you are a parent? Funny thing is that unlike you I am mature enough to break this conflict apart. You being a parent (and me being pre-teen) you should already know that skill, but I'm seeing irony here... On top of that you began it. (and don't say I continued it! I had to defend myself.)

I came to this forum to get information, not to get in a conflict. End this crap and continue the goddamn thread.

Lovely language for a pre-teen. I guess that's where the maturity resides.

You obviously know what you are doing here and I know absolutely nothing, so here's my last suggestion: Stop running the program that's overheating your computer. Simple solution.

Please stop the back and forth.

As far as your laptop is concerned, isn't there a setting in the Nvidia Control Panel (I use ATI only) where you can control fan speed?

You mentioned that you have the Nvidia desktop gadget, what other measurements can you see?

As far as your laptop is concerned, isn't there a setting in the Nvidia Control Panel (I use ATI only) where you can control fan speed?

Hmm I don't see any options in the control panel that have to do with fan speed. They do kick-in (loud) the moment I execute the program, so I think it knows when there's a graphics-intensive program (or whatever the problem is in this case).
newreply.php
I probably don't need to manually set it.

You mentioned that you have the Nvidia desktop gadget, what other measurements can you see?
The only measurements that are supported are: VPU, GPU and Temperature.

Back
Top Bottom