Internet Bonding....

K.I.S.S.

Beta member
I wasn't sure where to put this, so if it's not in the right spot, feel free to move.

Anyway,

Howdy,

I have two internet connections, one being 1.5 meg DSL, the other being Mobile Broadband from Verizon. My question is how can I utilize both the connections on one computer whether it be in a "bonding" and/or "load balancing" manner to improve overall performance of the connections? I am able to connect both connections to my laptop, but it seems to only use one connection at a time. Also I'm using Windows 7 on the laptop.

Thanks in advance for making me feel stupid :p

John

There may be some other members on here with a way to do this, but everything I've learned in Windows doesn't allow you to do anything of the sort. You can bridge connections, but that's for something completely different...

i know it can be done on servers. HP and IBM have special software that enables you to bond 2 or more local nics, But ive never seen a desktop equivelent ?

There may be some other members on here with a way to do this, but everything I've learned in Windows doesn't allow you to do anything of the sort. You can bridge connections, but that's for something completely different...

It won't even let me bridge the mobile broadband connection for some reason, if I select the DSL with a different connection, it gives the option to bridge, but if I select the Mobile, it won't give the bridging option....

when you bond connections with NIC teaming software it's a venfor specific option, e.g. teaming two HP NICS, or teaming two broadcom NICs

it won't work with different adapters.

on top of that the network cards need to be connected either to the same switch, same stack of switches, or switches that are connected via a trunk (rather than stacked using stack-wise cables.)

There was (many moons ago before the advent of broadband) an utility made by someone (I think it was ipswitch) that allowed you to bond connections.

for their example they bonded two ISDN lines (so instead of dual ISDN they had quad ISDN). pretty funky, but I've never heard of it in the last decade, probably because of the expansion of broadband so it's just not that practical any more.

if you're happy to move off of the PC and setup your mobile broadband on more of a dedicated server, and have a router in the middle you can pick a couple of lines and then allow the router to use both lines in a kind of load balanced way. (but you'll have to have a decent router for this and know how to get it done).

Back
Top Bottom