Computer program severly overheats my laptop

Beta member
Any idea how I can keep my computer cool from running certain programs? my Nvidia Desktop gadget was reading max 90 degrees centigrade at one point. (I swear I could've burnt my hand on the vent!) Is there something I can do to prevent overheating without having to add external cooling hardware?

Only use powerful programs if your computer can handle it. And it could be because you were on it for a exceptionally long time.

Certain laptops, for example the HP DV series, tend to run a little hot. Not a good thing, it's just a shortcoming in the design. With that said, as clacker points out, you might want to avoid processor- or graphics-intensive programs that are going to overheat your machine before you do damage to it.

Make sure your laptop is sitting on a smooth, rigid surface (not on your lap, not on a bed!), a cooling pad or platform might be a good idea. Be sure to use compressed air to blow all the dust out of the fan and heatsink. I have to blow mine out every month or so, usually I do so every other week.

I'm sure I don't want to know. Fact is, these 'laptops' can cause serious burns on the thighs, reproductive organs notwithstanding.

Only use powerful programs if your computer can handle it. And it could be because you were on it for a exceptionally long time.

I'm running and intel i7 core & 4 GB ram. The temp just spikes when I run it, I don't believe running it too long is the problem. And I believe my laptop is powerful enough to run most programs.

Certain laptops, for example the HP DV series, tend to run a little hot. Not a good thing, it's just a shortcoming in the design. With that said, as clacker points out, you might want to avoid processor- or graphics-intensive programs that are going to overheat your machine before you do damage to it.

Make sure your laptop is sitting on a smooth, rigid surface (not on your lap, not on a bed!), a cooling pad or platform might be a good idea. Be sure to use compressed air to blow all the dust out of the fan and heatsink. I have to blow mine out every month or so, usually I do so every other week.

I have a Sager laptop, (don't ask me what model; I have NO idea) and the cooling system seems pretty good because it cools right down pretty quickly from 90 degrees to 50 in about a minute.

As for processor/graphics intensive programs, I doubt that would be the problem. I'm running a pretty old First person game which should be no problem for my computer (but apparently is).

My laptop is always on a desk where the vents can breath, I even tried lifting the back end with a book to let more air at the vents but it had not effect. :p

As for blowing out dust, I don't think that will be necessary, my laptop is cool running anything else (including graphics intensive programs).

I know I have mention sperm on this forum :) But that can damage sperm having heat there for long periods of time every day. (Why do I know so much about sperm??)

With the laptop on my desk... I seriously doubt I'll have to worry about that...

Isn't it wonderful when people ask for advice and then proceed to ignore the advice given? This is what it is like being the parent of teenagers. :rolleyes:

Isn't it wonderful when people ask for advice and then proceed to ignore the advice given? This is what it is like being the parent of teenagers.

I wasn't ignoring anybody's advice Dngrsone, I responded with reasons as to why each idea would not work. (See the multi-quote above.) If I were to have ignored, I would not have replied to any posts. Also by saying why something will not work increases the detail of the problem. Which in turn, breaks down all the potential solutions and reveals the working ones (to the geeks). It keeps a forum alive until the problem is solved.

Keep this in mind before you start typing that bs.

I wasn't ignoring anybody's advice Dngrsone,

Really?

... I don't believe running it too long is the problem. And I believe my laptop is powerful enough to run most programs...

As for processor/graphics intensive programs, I doubt that would be the problem...

As for blowing out dust, I don't think that will be necessary...

With the laptop on my desk... I seriously doubt I'll have to worry about that...

Sounds like My teenager responding to any suggestions I make to her.

Ah, perhaps I should have said "intend to ignore".

Also by saying why something will not work increases the detail of the problem. Which in turn, breaks down all the potential solutions and reveals the working ones (to the geeks).

Hm. As I recall, this forum doesn't allow for links in signatures, which is why my usual signature is not in place here: How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

See, if you only outlined the problem properly to begin with, there would be none of this back-and-forth, 'give me suggestions so I can reject them', nonsense. And you never know, you might surprise yourself by discovering the solution before even posting the question.

Keep that in mind before you start typing bs.

Back
Top Bottom