Proxy server

~DaMon~

Solid State Member
Greetings everyone,

Let me get right to the point, basically what I want to do is setup a proxy server on my home network that sits between my network and my internet connection that will handle all my http traffic going out, and basically make it anonymous to the internet.

I use OpenVPN with ShieldExchange on my laptop to make all my web traffic on my laptop anonymous but now i want to do something like this for an entire network.

Anyone got some ideas for me pls?? :)

Thanks for the reply clacker but I dont think u understand what I'm looking to do....

Internal Network>>>>Proxy Server>>>>Internet

Hope there's somebody on here that can help shed some light please :D

Basically, you want a firewall.

Internet-based proxy servers provide you with a certain amount of anonymity because they are on the internet and have lots of clients. A home-based firewall will still have an IP address assigned by your internet provider which may or may not be fixed, but certainly can be identified as a client of your particular provider and therefore at the very least someone can identify your region.

The home-based firewall will hide individual computers behind it, however, so anyone looking at your internet IP can not say which nor how many computers actually requested the information being provided to the firewall. The firewall can prevent hostile intrusions to your internal network, and depending on the features can also filter content, scan content for malware, provide 'Quality of Service' functions, even act as a file or mail server.

Many routers and particularly wireless routers provide basic firewall functions.

Personally, I use a firewall appliance built from a P4 and running Smoothwall Express 3.0, which is a linux-based free firewall operating system.

I found what I was looking for, thanks for the replies guys! Dngrsone its not a firewall I'm looking for, its a proxy server, basically I will have a Linux box, preferably Ubuntu, running Prixoxy as a proxy server to anonymise web traffic going out and then i will run UFW and iptables to help protect traffic coming in as well as restricting what sites can be visited etc. Linux ftw!

Thanks alot though guys! Think I'll stick around here a bit and help answer some Q's :)

Whatever works for you, man... its sounds like the same stuff my firewall does, except without the intrusion detection/protection.

But I really don't know what I am talking about, so I bow to your superior knowledge in this matter.

But I really don't know what I am talking about, so I bow to your superior knowledge in this matter.
:p

Since my last post I have managed to setup Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS running Dansguardian Web Filter, which runs through Privoxy, and Privoxy through Polipo and then to the web, my internet browsing experience is now much faster and more secure and I can filter my users from looking at any nasties :D

If anyone wants a tutorial let me know!

:p

Since my last post I have managed to setup Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS running Dansguardian Web Filter, which runs through Privoxy, and Privoxy through Polipo and then to the web, my internet browsing experience is now much faster and more secure and I can filter my users from looking at any nasties :D

If anyone wants a tutorial let me know!

have you tried "UNTANGLE" Multi-functional Firewall Software - Open Source Content Filter & Spam Filter | Untangle.com just go with the lite package, you will get all you need from VPN to web filtering etc.

Back
Top Bottom