RAM issue

Coppola21

Beta member
I have recently built my self a computer that came with 4GB of RAM. My PC is only reading 3.1GB and i dont know why its not reading the whole 4GB. Can anyone explain to me why its only reading 3.1GB when i have 4 installed, or how i could fix this. Thanks

ok so i would need windows xp running 64 bit? im not a fan of windows 7 id rather stay xp. if i were to run a 64-bit than i should be fine? itll see more than what its seeing now?

Well you see this is a weird thing. In theory, 32-bit can use UP TO 4GB, but most of them show or less. Theoretically any x64 bit OS would show you up to it's defined limit. E.g.

Windows 7 Ultmate Memory Limits

x86 - Min=1GB Max=4GB
x64 - Min=2GB Max=192GB

Windows XP Professional does come in a x64 architecture, but you'd have to wipe and load to get it to show the full 4GB. And, tbh, since it can use all of your memory, it just cant see it, you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference from all your troubles.

ahhh icic, so im better off just leaving it? it runs fast for me, its good enough what its at now, i just feel as though i kind of got screwed you know? bought 4GB and its really only using around 3. so i might as well leave it than?

To USE your full amount, you would need a 64-bit operating system. 32-bit can usually only see around 3GB to 3.25GB. Windows 7 can SEE all of it and show it to you, but still only x64 OSes will use the full 4GB.

Windows in 32bit does address 4GB, but you must remember that that includes the RAM on your video display adapter.

4GB motherboard RAM - 512MB Video RAM = 3.5GB motherboard RAM

Back
Top Bottom