Connecting two computers together

m4l490n

Solid State Member
Hi everybody

I have one laptop with wireless card and a desktop without wireless card. The laptop has internet via wireless modem and I want to "pass" the internet to the desktop PC. My question is, how should I configure both computers in order to have internet in the desktop PC provided by the laptop?

Connect them both using an ethernet cable, then go to Control Panel>Network Connections> on the laptop and right click on the wireless adapter and click Properties.
Then click the far right tab and check the Share this computer's internet connection check box.
Click Apply.
Then it should work.

Connect them both using an ethernet cable, then go to Control Panel>Network Connections> on the laptop and right click on the wireless adapter and click Properties.
Then click the far right tab and check the Share this computer's internet connection check box.
Click Apply.
Then it should work.

Thanks for helping!!

Make sure that you use a 568A/Crossover cable not a regular 568B/Straight through cable. Host-to-Host communication only works with a Crossover.

568A and 568B is basically the ordering of the pairs in the RJ45, (not a cable itself, as described in quote above) the only difference between 568A and 568B are that pairs 2 and 3 are swapped. However, you are correct a crossover cable is required - the crossover cable would be crimped with 568A on 1 end and 568B on the other.

Hope this clarifies.

Another way you could do it is by bridging the network adapters.

@ ~Darkseeker~ That is only true if neither network card supports auto-mdix.

You might also need to set the default gateway on the desktop pc to match the IP address of the laptop, as well as assign a static IP address to the desktop machine as it might not automatically get assigned in which case the internet wont work.

Back
Top Bottom