Network switch

andy1027

In Runtime
I currently run a DLINK DIR 635 and one line out the back of it runs upstairs using DEVELO DLAN DUO 14mbps plugs

at the end of that line (being upstairs) could I attach a network switch?

So to clarify the situation here,

You have the d-link which runs a wire to one of the DEVELO outlets. That runs the signal through the power lines to the other DEVELO plug. Your question is if you can hook a network switch up to the second DEVELO plug, correct?

If so, then yes it should work without a problem.

Yes that is the case.

But running one port from the router up the stairs via develo into a network switch. How does that even work properly?

For a start, it's one port going into a say...dlink 5 or 8 port switch. And on top of that it's getting that signal from the one port via powerline. Is there not a disadvantage using powerline? Is it not faster to use pure ethernet cable?

Im just trying to get my head round it.

No matter what Powerline would be my only option.

Powerline is slower but that's about the only downside. If you look at the specs alone those adapters were what, 14Mbps? You probably won't notice the speed difference when using it if you are just playing games and browsing internet though.

What about local speeds?

Like file transfers and stuff like that between other pcs?

And stuff like that :)

Ah sorry,

Depending on what you do you might notice the difference in speed on communications that have to go between the two power-line adapters. It would still be good for steaming media and stuff, but large file transfers might be slow.

Back
Top Bottom