Is turning off Win7's prefetcher a good idea?

GibsonSGKing

Daemon Poster
Ok, my specs are in the sig. Basically, I've gotten rid of my overclock, and noticed that my system is taking a bit longer to boot now. Rather than OC'ing again (there really isn't anything I do that justifies it, it isn't slowing anything down that I can tell, and isn't ever under full load), is there other things that I can do to speed my boot times? I also don't really have the money for new hardware atm. I've already cleaned out my startup services/programs too.

Anyhow, my real question is: Is turning off prefetching a decent idea, and will I see any boot time speed ups if I turn it off?

No, prefetching really helps with the speed, I don't recommend turning it off.
Have you defragmented your hard drive?

No, prefetching really helps with the speed, I don't recommend turning it off.
Have you defragmented your hard drive?

Yep, I actually have a screensaver that automatically does it to (Auslogics makes it).
Any other fixes I can try?

I suggest you wipe and start over. With a CPU like that, you shouldn't be expecting long boot times at all.
My Q6600 at standard 2.4GHZ has the desktop up in around 20-30 seconds.

Using CCleaner on your registry might help.
Already do that rather often.
I suggest you wipe and start over. With a CPU like that, you shouldn't be expecting long boot times at all.
My Q6600 at standard 2.4GHZ has the desktop up in around 20-30 seconds.
Hrm =/
I think it might be because of the mass of stuff I have starting up. i have Steam, Daemon Tools, the sidebar, Fences, Razer drivers, and I believe on other thing.

Try disabling everything but what you need at boot up, and see if that improves start times.
If it does, I believe there is a program that can check boot times, and see what programs are taking most of the time.
I'm trying to think what it is...:

http://www.soluto.com/

I believe this will do the job, but I haven't tried it personally. It allows it to check how long a program takes to load, and allows programs to boot up after boot up, so as to not cause slow down

Try disabling everything but what you need at boot up, and see if that improves start times.
If it does, I believe there is a program that can check boot times, and see what programs are taking most of the time.
I'm trying to think what it is...:

Soluto

I believe this will do the job, but I haven't tried it personally. It allows it to check how long a program takes to load, and allows programs to boot up after boot up, so as to not cause slow down
I've already done that all :p
That looks like a nice utility, I'll certainly give it a try when I can get back into windows (check my other thread :p)

Back
Top Bottom